New Illinios Law Requires Photo ID To Buy Drain Cleaner

This is how you're loosing your liberty in the USA.

One piece of ID at a time.

====================================

New Law Requires Photo ID To Buy Drain Cleaner January 5, 2012 6:34 PM

CHICAGO (CBS) ? A new state law requires those who buy drain cleaners and other caustic substances to provide photo identification and sign a log.

It?s getting a rough reception from customers and merchants alike although perhaps none more than a cashier at Schroeder?s True Value Hardware in Lombard.

?They?re not very happy about it at all,? said Don Schroeder, one of the store?s owners. ?One of the customers actually threatened the (cashier) and threatened to throw the acid on her.?

LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio?s Bob Roberts reports

Although the customer did not make good on the threat, and no one called police, other employees of Schroeder?s said they would call police immediately if any similar threat is made.

The law, which took effect Sunday, requires those who seek to buy caustic or noxious substances, except for batteries, to provide government-issued photo identification that shows their name and date of birth. The cashier then must log the name and address, the date and time of the purchase, the type of product, the brand and even the net weight.

State Rep. Jack Franks (D-Woodstock) obtained passage of the new law following attacks in which drain cleaner was poured on two Chicago women, badly scarring them.

?So that?s who I have to call,? Schroeder said.

He said that when he called his local legislator, the legislator claimed not to know about the new law. Neither, he said, did other retailers in the area. He said he and other store personnel had to call to a number of stores before they could get details.

Non-compliance results in fines: $150 for the first offense, $500 for the second and up to $1,500 for the third and subsequent violations.

Schroeder estimated that there are ?easily? 30 or more products in the store that must be reported when sold.

Jewel-Osco has removed the few items it carried from its shelves, but Schroeder said he does not have that option as a hardware store. He said he does not believe that the precautions written into the bill will prevent such crimes from occurring.

?How are they going to find out, by asking every customer, what kid might have done that? It?s not going to solve any problems,? Schroeder said. ?It?s not going to cure anything.?

Link to story:

Home Guy

Wouldn't it be easier to outlaw caustic women? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I's say just wait a bit. Looks like just another example of a kook politician and other politicians who didn't know what they were even voting for. I predict it will soon be repealed. It apparently is very broad and applies to more than just drain cleaner. But it's a good example of the many loon politicians out there today. Anytime anything bad happens, they assume just one more half-baked law is the solution.

Reply to
trader4

Eggs have been used to harm people and property too. People buying eggs should have to sign for them. When I was in school a century ago, a kid was savagely attacked with a pencil and it broke the skin. Pencils are dangerous weapons and should only be sold to licensed people with a real need to use them..

This is pathetic and sets a dangerous precedent to our freedom being taken away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

First, we must establish if pencils have legitimate sporting purpose?

.

Eggs have been used to harm people and property too. People buying eggs should have to sign for them. When I was in school a century ago, a kid was savagely attacked with a pencil and it broke the skin. Pencils are dangerous weapons and should only be sold to licensed people with a real need to use them..

This is pathetic and sets a dangerous precedent to our freedom being taken away.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We are trying to catch up to to say Canada's numerous and extensive gun control restrictions.

Reply to
George

I always thought banning wet floors and icy roads would be a good thing...

Unfortunately the pathetic defense goes something like "well you already need to produce an ID card to do "x" as if that is a good thing.

Reply to
George

OK, the news media makes their living selling commercial time, to sell that they have to have viewers, crying mothers are good for grabbing viewers so that is what they do at least per newscast..., then the public demands something ought to be done about what caused the mom to bawl her eyes out on the 6PM news,... and soon there is another new law. With this latest Shotgun Sarah news don't be surprised if can get a law requiring single mom's to have a double barrel 12 gauge in their trailer home.

Mr. Austerity

You know, we probably don't have that many restrictions on long guns (firearms mainly used for hunting that is).

But at least we don't have to show ID to buy Sudafed (pseudoephedrine).

And our highways, railway, bus and subway stations don't have federal agents who compel you to submit to their searches or else you don't travel.

And we don't provide fingerprints to get drivers licenses.

Reply to
Home Guy

In high school In the 40's a kid stuck me in the buttocks and I had to go to the school nurse to have the broken piece removed. Also last year had to show ID to purchase Acetone or MEK don't recall which one at Ace Hardware because had something to do with people making some type of drugs. Everyone at the store knows me, but they must keep records of those sales. WW

Reply to
WW

Actually it had been tried as a city in the 80s tried pass an ordinance that everybody had to buy a firearm (don't recall right off which kind) or pay a fine. That was tossed (quite rightly) because you also have a right to not own a firearm under the second amendment. Another reason I don't like the laws that say private property owners like malls must let people carry whether they want them to or not.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yet we can't ask for photo-ID for voting.....insane.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Home Guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Guy.com:

To renew my FL drivers license,I had to provided a certified copy of my birth cert,ORIGINAL SS card(no laminating it),and two forms of proof of residence such as electric bill,etc.

I was checked out better than Comrade Obama when he ran for POTUS.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Canadian education?

Reply to
JimT

Correct, because the Illinois law only requires those who SELL drain cleaner and other designated harmful chemicals to log the transactions, there is NOTHING in that law which will prevent someone from going across a state line to buy those same items and bringing them back to Chicago to throw at an innocent victim, nor would the recordkeeping aspects of said law require persons who GIVE or PROVIDE such products FREE OF CHARGE to someone...

All this law did was bog down the police with lists of people totally uninvolved with any sort of criminal activity that they now will have to eliminate as suspects when any future similar crimes occur...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Apparently not in your state, but there are laws requiring photo ID to vote in others...

Reply to
Evan

Like The TSA? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Guess this lawmaker is too stupid to realize that drain cleaner is one of the ingredients used in meth labs to make methamphetamenes.

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

You know how to make a northern boy so proud. You are the ultimate par excellance! Y'all write more, hear?

.

Like The TSA? o_O

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Kennesaw, Georgia in 1982, not "everyone" was required to own a gun. You can read a bit about it here:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas