New House with No Main Water Shutoff Valve

Page 2 of 2

No, and I wouldn't. If the city breaks it, the city fixes it. Anyway, if your shutoff valve is defective, what choices do you really have? Got to shut it off somewhere.
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net says...

It is not 100k in the hands of the builders, it is 100K plus markup that was not passed on to the buyers.
FWIW in many parts of the USA the practical place to install the cut off is at the street, just past the water meter. We do not have basements (too expensive), meters are installed at the street \property line (the only place the water company will install them).
I've seen worse than no shutoff inside.
I recently moved from a townhouse I rented where the entire unit, 4 townhouses, shared a single shutoff. Working on plumbing was a nightmare as you had to let everyone know you were going to shut the water off and sometimes neighbors would get irate about it. Fortunately it only came up twice during my time there.
ml
That is another thing that worries me. The street valve is in an odd location, almost exactly on the property line bewteen the two houses! No lever here, seem to recall a recessed hex, but will have to look again..
On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:58:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Many thanks for all your replies! The house does have a basement. We will look for a shut-off just outside the house but I am pretty sure none exists. I am still surprised that so few newer houses have an in-house main shutoff valve. What if a catastrophic leak were to develop? The basement could fill up before the water company arrived. And how about going away for a prolonged period? Also if I want to do a little plumbing project on a Sunday afternoon, I have to call the water company, then get them back? Life is a great teacher. I always think I understand the world pretty well until I run into stuff like this...:) Frank
On Sun, 15 May 2005 02:36:19 GMT, frank1492

I don't know what your streetside shutoff valve is like but mine is easily operated by hand. The valve just has a lever type handle. No tools needed. Ok the first time I used it it was a bit tough to get moving but elbow grease did the job. I just stick a big screwdriver in the slot in the concrete plug and lever it up and out, shut off/turn on the valve and put the concrete plug back. Exactly what the people from the water company would do.
ml
On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:53:29 GMT, frank1492

When you have a basement the shut-off valve is typically inside the house, not outside. Look for it on a wall.
There is none.
On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:34:30 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

How are you billed for water used? You must have some sort of water meter. Maybe the cutoff valve is located on the supply side of the meter????? It could even look like a large allen head fitting, that you insert the allen wrench in to turn off.