New House : Two Electrical Questions

Yes, but they save you money through their opinions, not knowledge. It is akin to extortion. If the various states were to require that these inspectors be licensed engineers I'd have a bit more faith in their proclamations.

Reply to
Boden

oh i agree, but for this buyer a inspection cant hurt and may uncover other issues.

like reversed neutrals and hots in electric outlets. everything works fine, till one day you plug in a old radio and get shocked bad.

Reply to
hallerb

The problem is home inspectors run the gamut from very competent inspectors to hacks who don't really have a clue. Fancy ads and cards are no indication. The groups like NACHI are really trying to build some level of skill but the industry is suffering from growing pains.

Reply to
gfretwell

WOW, thanks everyone for the answers and comments!

The house was built in 1951. The home inspector has been through and suggested these two items may be an issue. I've noticed home inspectors tend to be a little more paranoid than necessary, which comes with the job I'm sure.

The bathroom light switch seems to be up for debate, some say it's safe or at least not an issue, others say to move it . . . interesting.

The garage thing was a bad description and I don't know enough to be very accurate. There is 110 and 220 going out to the garage. All the lights, garage door, outlets, etc (110) are controlled by a (visibly) normal light switch in the house. I can't tell if the 220 is controlled by the same switch. The inspector said this could be a problem. I don't want to pile this on our list if there isn't anything wrong with this setup. In fact it may be convenient if I forget to shut off the lights or something :)

Sorry my post was a little vague. I know almost nothing about electrical systems. Just so you know the depth of my knowledge, the inspector is the one who told me there was 220 going out to the garage, i hadn't noticed.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments. Have a great day!

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

If the inspector said it could be an issue, then obviously he is correct.

Most slight switches are installed inside the room on the latch side of the door. If this is not located inside the shower, I can't see, from here, how it could be an issue.

I guess if someone decided they wanted to take a bath/shower in the dark, and to use the switch from inside the shower........then maybe. :)

Reply to
metspitzer