new house floor tile fault

Some of the 16" square tiles have hollow sound when tapped. Apparently the thinset was improperly set. Builder says easily fixed, will drill holes in grout and force agent into hollow to repair. I am a little skeptical, is this a reasonable solution or just expedient? Seems like the thinset might be good on the periphery of the tile and inhibit the new agent flowing into the hollow. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Sligo

I would replace the tiles myself. But I suppose you could let him try that solution first and if they still sound loose then make him replace them. Do you have extras from that run?

Reply to
Lawrence James

Reply to
Sligo

Bad idea. If it's a new house I'd suggest that your builder get someone who knows how to set tile correctly and do the job over. Even if the tiles are replaced the odds are that the grout won't match. It will always look like a "fixed" job.

RB

Sligo wrote:

Reply to
RB