New house concrete slab crack

Hello all,
I have a new construction house under way (in Florida). It's still in the rough stages (walls and roof up, plumbing and wiring mostly done, no sheetrock yet). Today I noticed a crack (narrow, almost a "hairline" crack) running for about 15 feet across the slab. Is it somewhat normal/expected to have a crack in the slab, or is this a very big warning sign that I should bring up with the builder? Thanks for information.
Linux Registered User #327951
Perfectly normal. Exposed slabs are generally grooved so the cracks will be in the grooves. Don Young

Small cracks are normal
As Don Young says, some hairline cracks are not unusual and joints of several kinds are used to control cracking. Concrete changes volume as it cures and if the soil is not properly prepared, can settle.
The size, shape, and location relative to other features can give useful information on causes and severity.
TB
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:52:03 -0800, tbasc wrote:

Thanks (and also to the others who replied)! I guess I'll not worry too much about it. Appreciate the help.
Linux Registered User #327951
Dan,
As the others have said small cracks are inevitable however you may want to fill them with rubberized caulking if they widen anymore, prior to putting down your finish floors such as carpet. Doing so may deter ants and such from appearing later.