New hot water tank in july, what is fair?

Doubt they will do anything and the warranty probably tell you that. Yes, it is poor performance. Sears has not been Sears for a few years. They are owned by K-Mart and even worse that way they used to be.
Personally, I've not bought anything from Sears for years and I'd certainly not buy a major household item.

Unless it was a major brand item - which is what Sears in Canada now sells more of than Kenmore product.
On 11/06/2012 06:12 AM, bob haller wrote:

Last July, as in July, 2012, or last July, as in July, 2011?
Interesting quandry; while they are obligated to honor their warranty, what is the "timeliness" of such service? Some states have strong consumer protection laws that provide reasonable relief, and I would think that not having hot water for a week could be classified as unreasonable, based on the fact that a water heater is a very simple device, using standard parts and such.
If it was me, I would contact my state's Attorney General and make an inquiry as to this situation; even if they don't jump on it, you might get a better response from Sears by letting them know that you have involved the Attorney General on the case, as well as publishing it on the web. Make sure the right person at Sears hears this; if you go up high enough the heater will get fixed tomorrow.
Jon
Shit like this is why I have not been in a sears store in 20 years.
When my old water heater sprung a leak, the local plumber had it replaced 4 hours after I called him.
The brand new heater was installed in july 2012, its just 6 months old.....
if it was mine I would be contacting the media and parading around sears parking lot with a complaint sign........
the squeaky wheel gets the grease:)
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 06:01:03 -0500, Sergeant Hulka

When mine started to ooze I went and picked up a new one, carrying it home on the hitch-rack on the back of my PT Cruizer. Put it in the basement and when I had a spare hour I swapped it out. Before anything got wet.