New hot water tank in july, what is fair?

Page 2 of 3

That's what I was talking about too. It's not that the Kmar here is real busy either. It's just that they have 10 checkout lines and only 2 or three are open and they have lines.

Somehow this one here still survives.

I get my prescriptions at kmart, as well as most of my clothing. Never really crowded. Also often get pizza in the store store. I don't think there is any food at my walmart. I learned to like the old walmart, and quickly learned to hate the new. BUT, I bought a 120 ahr battery at walmart, and equivalent at kmart cost $140 vs walmart $90.
Greg

I hate walmart inconsistency. They carry stuff. I shopped at walmart and all they had were gas containers. Kmart had water, diesel, kerosene, gas. Stuff you should carry, vs stuff they want to carry.
Greg

and guarantee nobody will undersell them - so soon the only place to buy it is at the big "W". A short time later, they find they are loosing too much money on it - or the supplier finds they cannot afford to supply it at the price the big "W" will pay them for it - so it is no longer supplied - and it is no longer available in the genereal markrtplace.
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:27:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The suppliers make dumb decisions too. Vlasic pickles http://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know
versus Snapper mower http://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-who-said-no-wal-mart

to say no.
Everyone's used to buying, say, Vlasic pickles for $.79 when the realistic price is $139, and it's hard to build a market outside of Walmart at even a bargan $129 - what's a company going to do???
On Nov 14, 10:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

1/3 of all suppliers to wall mart go bankrupt in a matter of years.
-snip-

Either 2/3 make more money than they ever dreamed of-- or that's just a bullshit number you pulled out of thin air.
I do note that you don't say how many years-- so perhaps 90% of your 1/3 haven't gone bankrupt yet, but they will? [and it will be Walmart's fault?]
Walmart may be a bully, but if they were driving one in 3 businesses to bankruptcy, then why would any business sign on with them? And if they did-- isn't that what the whole free market is about?
Jim

sell to the government. Same situation - sell for less than the next guy - to get the big deals. They figured ig they sold 10,000 computers to the government the volume buying would reduce the cost to, let's say for argument's sake, $600 instead of the current $650. They sold the computers to the government for the GST program at $625 (numbers not accurate - but you get the idea) and only sold 3000, so the volume savings did not come to nearly what they were counting on - so they started buying cheaper parts - which raised the failure rate - which raised their warranty costs (third party outsourced warranty part of the "production cost".
They went through 2.5 million dollars like water through a fire-hose and were insolvent within 2 years. Went from a small profitable company to a big money pit.
On 11/15/2012 7:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A perfect example of pay now or pay a lot more later. An idiot I work with has spent a hundred bucks ten dollars at a time trying to get an inkjet printer cartridge refilled. I have tried and tried many times to get through to him about spending money on the cheapest items he can find which usually fail to do the job they were obtained for. O_o
What's the difference between cheap and stupid? Usually lass than a dollar. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 22:57:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't blame Wal Mart, all Vlasic had to do was say "no" and refuse to sell at a lower price.
A few years back, one of our biggest customers was Frigidaire. They use similar tactics on their suppliers. The parts we made for them were seasonal. After year one, we were asked for a 10% price reduction. Their logic was that over the year, we found better and faster ways to make their parts. There is some truth to that and we wee able to reduce the price and maintain profits. A couple of years later, they sent a letter and asked for a 25% reduction, a rebate for the previous year, and longer terms. We said "no thanks, where do you want the tools sent?".
One of our competitors happily snatched the job from us at the reduced price. Years later, we are still making a profit, they filed bankruptcy. The Frigidaire business is long gone as they moved the plant to Mexico the following year.
More recently, we make a product for a customer that potentially sells to Wal Mart. We sell it for 1.10. WM said they would buy it at 85. Again, we said no. Would have been a big order, but with no profit and we would have had to skimp on material.

Also right in the article it says no one says the gallon pickle issue was a critical factor in the bankruptcy.
I found this from a story at the time of their bankruptcy filing:
"They were dealt a difficult hand," said Mitchell Pinheiro, an analyst at Janney Montgomery Scott who has a "hold" rating on Vlasic stock.
"They were saddled with $500 million debt, which didn't seem all that onerous at the time [Vlasic was spun off], given cash flow. But the cash flow was deteriorating and the need of the brands was greater than first thought."
Vlasic listed $458.3 million in assets and $649.9 million in debts in its Chapter 11 petition filed in U.S. District Court in Wilmington."
And the story starts off implying Walmart is responsible for clothing manufacturing going overseas. We all know that trend was already well under way as far back as the 60's, with places like New England having them close right and left. That was long before Walmart was a factor. Digital Eqpt, the computer company, started in an old abandoned textile mill in the 60's. I see this whole thing as more of an evolving world economy, than the evil of one giant retailer.

make up for it on volume"
I've heard that many times. Walmart lowballs, and the volume is huge. But, to meet the price, not worth it.

Walmart has water containers but in the kitchen/home section, not in the automotive section. ?!?

Ok, but I did ask someone there.
If for some reason I need to go in and get cleaner, I need to go 1/2 mile to other end in groceries, instead of hardware. No sense.
Let's see. Bought bed at sears this year and got glasses. Top rated in eyeglasses. Has nice bed section you can actually lay in many beds to test. Some stores you can't do this. Good price with sale prices. I just don't want o loose sears.
A few years ago my kmart burnt down. I was really surprised they rebuilt, but was probably insurance covered. With walmart, SAMs, target, Costco, kmart suffers, as well as our mall. Mist malls are suffering. Still got two two of the best stores, sears and macy's, for looking around. Oh, penny's too, but I just don't go there anymore.
Greg
On 11/15/2012 4:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

Walmart may have dumber employees. They're cheaper than smart employees. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:27:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas

WallyWorld employees may be cheaper but they're certainly not dumber than Sears'. They're as dumb as Democrats.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:22:56 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

You're being kind to Sears. The Store where I lived just closed and there isn't one in this corner of Atlanta at all (there is one about 20mi. North, but it's a PITA to get to). I did buy a Sears lawn tractor last Spring because it was a much better deal than anything else around. We'll see if I can get parts for it for the time I own it.

I don't remember the last time I was in a KMart. It must be fifteen years back. <...>
"bob haller" wrote in message
My GFs sisters family bought a new sears water heater and had it installed by sears last july. It quit working over a week ago and sears hasnt got the parts yet, they promise <AGAIN> it will be fixed by friday:( some parts didnt help......
Meanwhile no hot water at all:(
I think sears should of had the parts overnighted, and since they have been unable to fix it they should offer a refund on the tank. maybe 50% but perhaps more.
what do all of you think? I beleve no hot water for over a week is unacceptable.....
and this occured in pittsburgh far from the new york disaster...
I quit buying from Sears years ago. I don't care if they quit. Any thing I bought from them turned out to be a POS in a short time. WW