New hot water tank in july, what is fair?

Page 1 of 3
My GFs sisters family bought a new sears water heater and had it installed by sears last july. It quit working over a week ago and sears hasnt got the parts yet, they promise <AGAIN> it will be fixed by friday:( some parts didnt help......
Meanwhile no hot water at all:(
I think sears should of had the parts overnighted, and since they have been unable to fix it they should offer a refund on the tank. maybe 50% but perhaps more.
what do all of you think? I beleve no hot water for over a week is unacceptable.....
and this occured in pittsburgh far from the new york disaster...
Add pictures here
✖
What we, on the list, think is irrelevant. What counts is what's in the contract, and what your sister's uncle's girl friend's cousin, twice removed, hair dresser, dog trimmer, lady down the street, can enforce.
How are you involved? What's your interest?
My GFs sisters family bought a new sears water heater and had it installed by sears last july. It quit working over a week ago and sears hasnt got the parts yet, they promise <AGAIN> it will be fixed by friday:( some parts didnt help......
Meanwhile no hot water at all:(
I think sears should of had the parts overnighted, and since they have been unable to fix it they should offer a refund on the tank. maybe 50% but perhaps more.
what do all of you think? I beleve no hot water for over a week is unacceptable.....
and this occured in pittsburgh far from the new york disaster...
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 6, 9:18 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I would think they deserve something in the way of compensation. But what if anything they get is probably entirely up to Sears and I'd say half the total cost of the water heater and installation is expecting a bit much. Technically, I think it's rare to see a warranty that even addresses how long they have to fix it. I'd say if they gave you even $100 you'd be lucky.
Add pictures here
✖
bob haller wrote:

Hi, I always used Sears for convenience, not the price. They come in three levels of tanks, best being 10 year free replacement one. Never had problem with their service. If they live in smaller town, don't think they carry full line of parts locally. I live in a city where their regional parts depot is. Never had an issue with parts requirement. Any how, there are not many parts on a water heater. What's the matter? Can't they rob the needed parts from their inventlry of tanks? Not having hot water is a bummer.
Add pictures here
✖

It would seem very unlikely that whoever Sears has doing repairs has access to Sears inventory of new water heaters. It's not the local plumbing supply. And good thing too. Would you want to buy a new water heater from Sears knowing that some tech took it apart to remove a part and give it to someone else, later hopefully putting it back together again correctly with a new part?
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/6/2012 8:12 AM, bob haller wrote:

Although not having hot water would really suck, I really don't think that Sears owes them anything. In a nutshell, sh*t happens so tell them to make the best of it.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/6/2012 9:12 AM, bob haller wrote:

I gave up on sears after this. We had a sears refrigerator and one morning I noticed the evaporator fan had failed. I called the local "sears part center" and they verified they had one on hand. I asked them to hold it for me. Drove all the way to the store and they say they don't have one. I asked the guy to check if one was at another store or they can get one shipped in from someplace else and he told me I would need to check around on my own. So I forget about sears forever more.
Instead of sears I called an appliance parts place that was further away. They said they had a universal model that came with various brackets. I drove over there and bought it then back home to install.
As far as your case likely their warranty specifies you are on your own. So fair is whatever you can get.
Add pictures here
✖

Well the victim of no parts in stock live in pittsburgh pa a pretty big town with the major parts service depot on 51st street ..ornite fed Xtype parts delivery should be the norm for brand new tank fails under warranty.... not repeated parts will be here in 3 days.
I quit buying anything from sears that will ever need service after being charged twice for a furnace with air service. travel charge one was fine but half of a 100 bucks for the tech on site to swap tool kits is plain gouging. sears is headed to bankruptcy and liquidation and they deserve it.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, I used to go to Sears at least monthly to look around the tool dept, did that from 1965 until about 8 - 10 years ago when they really started downhill. Haven't been in our nearby Sears in more than a year now.
Add pictures here
✖

Never dealt with warranties, but when something breaks I get parts fast from sears internet parts. I think I bought one wall oven and one stovetop from sears, All other appliances I usually get from local hardware, Daniels. Other discount places, but I would consider looking in lowes. I love sears store. I shop at kmart often, but it's not my favorite store.
Long live sears.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖
The real issue here is the difference between "what's reasonable" and "what's legal".
It's true that it's far more inconvenient to go several weeks without your Sears water heater working than it is to go several weeks without your Sears lawn mower working, but Sears is in the same legal position in both cases. They don't have to put any greater priority on getting the water heater up and running any sooner than the lawn mower.
So, you can appeal to Sears, and a reasonable person would agree that you've been inconvenienced, but keep in mind that they're not obligated to do anything more or do anything differently than they would if it was your Sears lawn mower that was on the blink. The warranty reads the same in both cases.
--
nestork

Add pictures here
✖

Well it broke on a tuesday, has been well over a week, and latest prediction is friday, thats 10 days. without hot water:( what happened to over nite shipping and warranty calls come first?
I suggest I go along and talk to the actual sears store manager for monroeville PA, this store is scheduled to close.
I want to be honest with the store manager, you didnt have parts in stock:( you are short repair people adding days to calls. If you dont give a complete refund I have a friend in the media, and Sears will be featured, not in a good way.....
Is that what you want?:)
The family has a member who had a stroke and has trouble getting around, their home bathroom has grab bars.... the realtive where they have been showerinat has 3 flights of steps to the bathroom and no grab bars
POOR SERVICE HACKS ME OFF! I am in the repair industry
oh the family says they will never shop at sears again and I dont blame them.........
Add pictures here
✖

You got one of those too?
Add pictures here
✖

I am proud I am a effective complainer and rarely lose a issue.....
If more people complained loudly customer service would improve dramatically.......
Add pictures here
✖

Correct, there is an art to successful complaining. You have to be calm, speak with authority, not yell and scream. Lay out the facts and suggest what the proper resolution should be.
You have to realize that the person you are talking to probably had nothing to do with the problem so don't take your frustration out on them. Allow them to help you.
OTOH, it may be the person you are talking to. Don't call them a twit until you get the resolution you want or get to a manager that can be of help.
Smart companies realize good customer service is important and they empower people to fix your problem. It makes for happy customers and repeat business. Companies that don't do it do not deserve your business.
Add pictures here
✖

I found that tactic to be extremely effective when airlines screw up. When I was flying to the left coast regularly I managed to snag a free upgrade to first class on one leg of the flight on almost every trip. If *anything* went wrong I just asked if they'd comp me an upgrade. Since something almost always goes wrong somewhere, it became a regular thing. Others, usually whiny, demanding, liberals, were lucky to get a seat at all. Once I did have to fly through Chicago to get from NC to VT but the ORD=BTV connection was 1st class. The FA apologized for not getting me a 1st class seat on the RDH-ORD leg. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/8/2012 4:31 PM, bob haller wrote:

So the store manager will shortly be losing his or her job.

Since the store manager is shortly going to be unemployed, I doubt s/he will much care.

Sears was bought out by a hedge fund guy who combined them with Kmart into a holdings company. He has absolutely zero interest in growing retail operations. He's taking what profits he's getting from them (Kmart is doing extremely well) and putting it into his other investments. He took the Craftsman and Kenmore brands and spun them off into a separate company, so that he'll continue to hold ownership of those valuable brands even after Sears ceases to be. In the meantime, he's licensed the sale of those branded products to other retailers, which further hurts Sears' bottom line.
The long and short of it is: the head honcho isn't interested in making Sears better or keeping its dwindling customer base satisfied. The people working under him suffer serious morale issues as a result (not to mention knowing their jobs are gradually going away, as in the case of the PA store manager). Some of them still strive to provide good customer service - but if doing so costs the store money, they will face repercussions from upper management. Others know they can get away with providing poor customer service, so they have no guilt about doing so.
I've got a sister in Sears management who has been with them for over thirty years. When a customer comes to her with a complaint, she'll do what she can, but often she can't do much more without putting her job on the line, and that's a line she won't cross. In those cases, the customer usually threatens to contact the head office in Chicago. She encourages them to do so. You may want to try that, because the store manager may not have the power (anymore) to make things right.
Add pictures here
✖

Agree with most of what you're saying with a coupe of exceptions. I don't believe Kmart is doing extremely well. It's not doing very well at all. It's just that it's been somewhat profitable, while Sears is far worse.
And it's not entirely owned by the hedge fund. It's publically traded and the hedge fund holds just over 50% of it, they do control how it's run.
The Kmart here is a real mess. I rarely go there, even though it's close. They always have long lines at the checkouts. I was there last Xmas and the cash register system, which the cashier told me was 25 years old, was having serious problems. The system sure looked at least 25 years old. After waiting in line for 10 mins, they finally decided they had to reboot the whole system. And get this. They then have to bring up each register one at a time, a process that we were told would take at least a half hour. And then I had to suggest to the manager, "How about if you give us bags to put our stuff in and we can leave it and come back later to pay for it?" Once I did that, most people took the leave the bag option. I've seen the cash register problem on a couple other occasions too.
I hate Kmart soooo very much!
and putting it into his other

Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:22:56 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

The K Mart in our town never has long lines. They can barely get enough people in there to make a short line. The only reason I ever go there is to buy something I know is "name brand" quality, not cheap China crap that most of their merchandise is. The advantage is, the Wal Mart parking lot will be mobbed, the K Mart lot and store is empty so quick in and out.
Add pictures here
✖

I moved from the east coast to a Northern California town 19 years ago that had a 5-6 year old Walmart and a brand new Kmart across the street. Having grown up with Kmart (Walmart hadn't gotten to New England at the time), I of course tried going there. It was big and bright and seemed like there were never more than 20 people in the store...and always 10 people in the checkout lines, with never more than 2 open. I found that I could get in and out of Walmart much quicker, so went there. Apparently so did everyone else, as the Kmart is long gone, replaced by Kohls (which is doing well).
Of course, back east, it was the Caldor (yes, dating myself) nearby that was ultra slow (it seemed like every clothing item required them to enter at least 2 15 digit numbers by hand, plus the time to de-hangar and fold), with Kmart being the faster option...
Josh
Add pictures here
✖