New Homeowner Ceiling Fan Installation!

Here's my story... I have two wires coming from my junction box, a black and a white. I have hooked my fan up as per directions however I would like power to stay to the motor at all times and make the wall switch turn the light on and off. Is this possible with the wiring configuration I have? If possible does someone know of a site or diagram online that would instruct of different installations? Thanks in advance.
<< I would like power to stay to the motor at all times and make the wall switch turn the light on and off. Is this possible with the wiring configuration I have? >>
No. The power needs to be fed to the junction box first and then to the switch. Ask any good electrician to sketch it out for you. Better yet, pay him to do the wiring the way you want it. Good luck.
Joe

You have to run another wire and have a separate switch for the fan to do what you want, UNLESS the current wire has 3 insulated conductors and a ground AND one of those conductors is not being used. Highly unlikely.
Tom J

the
No. You need to get a remote control, which you can put on the wall next to the light switch. Otherwise you need to hire an electrician to rewire it.

have
Is
different
The remotes come in two styles. One goes into a box on the wall ( no wiring required, the box just holds it there). The other uses a hand held remote that can go anywhere. They are the same price.
Charlie
In alt.home.repair on Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:43:59 -0400 "Charlie Bress"

When I stayed in the cheapest** hotels in Mexico, they still had the switch for the overhead light right by the bed. So I have a 3-way switch for my overhead light with one switch right by my bed.
I like a permanent switch so it won't get lost, but I'd probably put it by the bed too.
**1971 but still only a dollar a night, when the US and Guatamala Hiltons charged in the low 30's.

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

There is a third, which you toggle the switch on and off to select Fan, Light , Fand and light. It installs in the ceiling JB, and AFAIK is not brand specfic,