New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

Page 3 of 3
Thank you all for your kind advice. Sorry to take so long in getting back. I had filled the tank with fresh fuel and left this project alone for several days. Today I bought a spark tester (easier than attempting to ground the plug while pulling the start cord.) Recall I had guessed a bad spark earlier. The spark was perfect! Without choking, I depressed the throttle and the engine started immediately. So it appears Hank and some others were right. The engine must have been severely flooded. Initially in desperation I must have choked the engine more than I thought. I feel very stupid about this and am sorry if I may have misled you. I simply could not understand with the use of starting fluid why I couldn't even get a sputter. The cautionary tale here is this: Always follow starting instructions exactly and be patient. Just a word or two in defense of Homelite. For about 20 years I had a string trimmer that started and ran flawlessly, only giving trouble very recently. It had years of stale gas (I'm more careful now) and never complained. I liked it because it had no centrifugal clutch and didn't require being run at light speed. Also simply speeding the engine momentarily to full throttle advanced the line- no need to bump or insert line stubs manually. So I have no problems with Homelite. And it turns out this problem wasn't theirs! Once again thank you all. I intend to do penance by running the trimmer against my bare leg for one-half hour. Frank
On 6/4/2012 2:11 PM, frank1492 wrote:

in the future, i've found the best way to "unflood" a two stoke is to take the plug out, hook the wire back to it, lay it against the hole it belongs in, and yank that rope!. You'll get a little fire and then none, and you'll be dried out in a flash. No pun intended.
--
Steve Barker
Fahr in de hole!