new home foundation insulation?

Is there any point in insulating the outside of a poured foundation with styrofoam? The house has a walk-out basement with in floor heating and will be finished in the future. I was planning on insulating the inside with styrofoam but before we backfill should I insulate the outside? This is in eastern Canada. Thanks

The more insulation the better. It is good to have some on the outside. For some good information on insulation, take a look at the system of insulating concrete forms. Even if you don't use ICFs, the same info applies for insulating avlues. www.integraspec.com or www.polysteel.com or www.standardicf.com

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, Most heat loss is thru the ceiling. If you want to why not? Don't forget water proofing as well. Tony Calgary, AB
habbi wrote:

About 20 years ago I had a house built. I asked them if it was OK if I insulated the outside before they backfilled. They OK'ed it and I did. About 10 years ago I had another house built by the same builder; this time they they were insulating all their new homes using the same materials and methods I used. It was then a feature.
It will not change the world, but it should reduce utility bills a little and may help protect the waterproofing on the foundation wall.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
It if frequently done in high end houses. However, make sure that the contractor is not going to use a "stone slinger" to cover the drainage pipes around the foundation. These trucks fire the gravel at high speed and can reach considerable distances (which is why many contractors like to use them to reduce manual labour in hard to reach areas). The downside is they will destroy any foam that you put on the outside as fast as a sandblaster can strip paint.

in
time
Also consider laying foam insulation horizontal - from the foundation out 4 feet and about 1' down from the finished grade level. This slows down / blocks frost from going down the side of the foundation. No frost = no heaving.
There are some web sites that talk of the use of foam on the exterior of foundations. http://oikos.com/esb/43/foundations.html

Mr. M, Would you share your scheme with the N.G., please? TB
Tom Baker wrote:

Just as I said. I approached the builder as the foundation was being built and asked if I could add the insulation, (I used an foam insulation available in large panels that was identified for under ground use). The builder agreed as long as I finished by the Monday when they were scheduled to backfill. I used some of the same mastic they had used for waterproofing to hold it up until the backfill was done.
My next home about ten years later was by the same builder (not great homes, but good value) and the same kind of insulation was listed on their standard feature list.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Here's a good article on the dos and don'ts of insulating foundation walls. http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/foundations/basement_insulation_systems.pdf Fairly interesting if you think how most contractors insulate your basement.
--
Rich
www.teamcontractor.com