New Home Depot store security

Page 3 of 3

I asked a sales personat local WalMart if they have much promlem with shop lifters. She replied she has watched many teenagers do this. I asked if she calls police dept. She said NO we are not allowed to stop them. ?????????????????? WW
bob haller wrote:

Oh. I thought you meant their "shoplifting" security system. I was going to offer that I always hold my bag over my head as I pass through the detectors at the exit.
So, never mind.
Oren wrote:

I think the instructions cautions that the presence of a camera, even a fake one, generates ill will amongst employees or customers. Therefore, the instructions read, one should HIDE the camera, out of sight, even the fake ones.

most cameras are in cieling mirrored balls....
this home depot system takes first place for intusive and irritating with flashing strobe lights flashing messages and beeping. makes all customers feel like thieves
i hope they get lots of complaints.

Another reason for me to go to Busy Beaver stores.
Greg
bob haller wrote:

I still wonder if bringing in your own pre-printed bar-code sticker to cover over the one on the package of the product you want to buy is happening to any great extent. The pre-printed code would be derived from a similar product that you intend to buy - but with a much lower price.
You take a picture of the barcode of the cheap product with your cellphone, use commonly-available software at home to re-create the barcode and print it on a sheet of sticky paper, cut it out and take sticker with you to the store, take expensive product off the shelf and put it in your shopping cart, peel sticker and apply over real barcode. Let store cashier scan it. Pay for it and walk out of the store.
Home Guy wrote:

This is fairly common. A shopper buys a five-pound carton of mystery-meat which she takes home to poison the neighbor's dog. Carefully removing the price-sticker from the package, she coats the price-tag with rubber cement and returns to the store. There she places the label sticky-side up in her right hand while removing a package of T-bones from the cooler with her left.
She flips the T-bones over into her right hand to look at the back(?) thereby affixing the new sticker to the yummy meat.
Then pays for the product with food stamps.
HeyBub wrote:

I'm not sure I understand why poisoning the neighbor's dog is part of this scam.

Because it isn't good enough for the bum on food stamps.
Home Guy wrote:

Oh, it's just a literary embellishment thrown in to make the post more interesting. Frankly, since you called me out on it, I'll admit I really have no idea what she's going to do with the meat. I presume she'd want to do SOMETHING constructive with it...
On 10/29/2011 6:53 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Yeah, right. In this day and age, when all price stickers have the product description encoded to display when rung up and printed on the receipt, for the cashier to review.

These scams all depend on you counting on the cashier not paying any attention to what is going on. Even if you are in self check, you better make sure your sticker matches the weight of the product you are stealing ... and that the cashier is not paying attention