New Home Depot store security

Page 2 of 3

PA (and others) should take lessons from Texas and Maracopa Co., AZ.
bob haller wrote:

Believe it or not, there's a market for the packing material (box, papers, plastic bags, etc.) that are used to ship flat-panel TVs (check Ebay).
Burglars need these boxes to re-pack the stolen TVs. The thieves can then either "return" them to some store, or sell the sets to bargain hunters as "it fell off a truck."

Ah, so when you ship the empty box to them, they know where the matching set is, too.

'Nuff said.
--Vic

No, I don't believe it. A store wouldn't take back a big ticket item without a receipt. Period.
Please provide a link to such an item on eBay. Thanks.

Looks like we'll be going to Mazatlan this year for a couple of weeks. Last trip, I learned that the hotel owns the beach in front of the hotel, and doesn't mind if guests metal detect. So, I'm going to take mine. But, in order to do that, I need to make a new shaft that will break down into shorter lengths so it will fit into the dictated dimensions. I am interested in finding out if it will be allowed in carry on, and somewhat dismayed, as I will be in a spot when I find out if they will let it on the plane. I believe I will remove all batteries from it so that is not an issue.
These people are nuts. Common sense is dead.
Steve

You will need the batteries to show TSA that it operates or they will confiscate it.
On 11/1/2011 7:54 AM, Steve B wrote:

Here's another idea. If you know where exactly and when exactly you are going, just ship it there (and back) UPS.
--
Steve Barker
wrote

TY. Good idea, because if I get into line, and it creates a stir, it could keep me off the flight. I really would like to metal detect on this stretch of beach, as it is a high end RCI property, and I think I could find something. With the price of gold today, I could pay for the two weeks. Or at the least, get a couple of room or phone numbers ................
Steve

Can you put it in your checked bags? We take all sorts of wield stuff on vacation.
wrote

To me, it depends on size, and in its present form, it is about 36" long in its carrying case, outside the parameters of that little test box for carry-ons. I know some flight attendants are reasonable people, and then, some are not.
Steve

Take the sensor head off, paint the tip of the pole white and wear dark glasses. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

One of the freight carriers (I think UPS) makes a box that looks like colorful Japanese cardboard luggage in which you can ship your stuff to your destination hotel in advance. It's certainly cheaper than the $50 or so bag charge that some airlines have (Yeah, Southwest).
Over the years, we've shipped much convention stuff to our destination hotel. Here's an example of the address tag:
Guest John Smith Best Inn Hotel 1111 Main Street Little Rabbit, Oklahoma 78787

Fly first class and they won't screw with you about your luggage.
On 10/28/2011 6:56 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That seems like a _very_ unMorman-like action... :(

store manager called me back its a test of new technology........
cameras are fine but i wouldnt shop at any store that puts up a monitor in my view..... thats over the edge
whoever in corporate approved this should resign or be fired for gross stupidity

You prefer to have your video cameras hidden? The setup is meant as a deterrent. It's a much better deterrent if it's visible.

i COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE CAMERAS, I JUST REFUSE TO HAVE TO SEE MYSELF AS I WALK THRU THE STORE.
I really dont like my own personal appearance, and many people are like me
On 10/28/2011 9:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

OK, so I had a typo; I suspect you got the drift anyway.

What is Home Depot?