New hat and a cast iron building

Since many of you here are interested in home repair and buildings in general, I though you may be interested in this place. The front of the first floor is cast iron.

I went to New Haven today to buy a new Borsolino cap. I'm not sure of the age of the building, but the business has been here since 1908. The bottom photo shows the cast iron columns and header trim. Some building used cast iron for structural support also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm very interested in this stuff. I've seen a lot of "cast iron buildings in SoHo in NYC, and it's good to see the range of them.

Thanks.

The northeast is a very interesting place to live. That's why I tried not to move too far away (Baltiomre.)

Reply to
mm

What is the street address? I looked through "New Haven, a Guide to Architecture & Urban Design" and could find no mention of cast iron. That book will give dates and some description of buildings in and around town. T

Reply to
tbasc

What is the street address? I looked through "New Haven, a Guide to Architecture & Urban Design" and could find no mention of cast iron. That book will give dates and some description of buildings in and around town. T

47 Elm Street
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It might be "Imperial Granum Building, built 1877, designed by Rufus G. Russell. The great era of the cast-iron front largely passed New Haven by. This is the only known example today. Russell's drawing survives among his papers in the Historical Society."

tbasc

It might be "Imperial Granum Building, built 1877, designed by Rufus G. Russell. The great era of the cast-iron front largely passed New Haven by. This is the only known example today. Russell's drawing survives among his papers in the Historical Society."

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski