new grill recommendations needed

I'm in the market for a new grill and will probably buy one tomorrow. I have done a bit of research and wanted to know what any recommendations there are regarding liquid propane gas grills. I am somewhat interested in the infrared grills but don't think I can afford one.
Any suggestions for LP grills $500 and below at the national stores?

Are you sure you mean (cooled) liquid propane rather than ordinary bottled gas propane?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson, 11/4/2007,8:20:56 PM, wrote:

Whatever you call the cylinder that you get filled up at the local U-haul and such places. the kind where you can exchange the cylinder at any convenience or grocery store.
badgolferman wrote:

Head for your local library and get the Consumer Reports articles. The extensive research is worth the trip. There are a few clunkers on the market, but all are better now than a few years ago. This is a good time of year to buy as the stores are putting the grills back in the warehouse or discounting them to make room for the Christmas shopping frenzy. Good luck.
Joe
Having burnt through a pile of grills over the years, we opted for a small Weber. Can't beat it. Three independent burners, and most importantly, a meaningful thermometer. I can get much more controllable and predictable results.
"badgolferman" wrote in message

This may help. Wish I had been a smarter shopper, b/4 I bought a Thermos at Target. I got it for what I thought was a great price of under $200, that's after they had it on sale, and I got so much off for opening a Target charge. It was over $400, but according to about.com, I bought a piece of junk. Oh well.
http://bbq.about.com/od/gasgrills/tp/aatp042403.htm
Weber genesis is an excellent grill and affordable. If you can spend more, IMHO the best grill made is the cape fear classic by Wilmington Grill. http://www.wilmingtongrill.com/classic /

I bought a weber several years ago and really like it. As the other response, it has independent burners, a nice thermostat and the cylinder has a indicator to tell you how much gas is left. I like the roomy side shelves to put supplies, etc. I went to the librar and read consumer reports and weber was recommended. It is sturdy and worth the price as it will outlive cheaper ones. GO for it.
badgolferman wrote:

--
Betty Boop

I sure like my Vermont Castings. The porcelain front looks like new at three years now. The stainless steel cleans up nicely with the 509 degreaser from the dollar store. The porcelain clad grills burn right off, or a little brushing helps knock off the rest. I have yet to have it NOT start on the first click of the clicker. The clicker is one of the most substantial I have seen on ANY barbecue grill. The thing weighs a lot, and is on nice casters. I bought two Aussies for my rental properties, but that was because they were on sale. If I had to buy another for one of my houses, I'd go Vermont Castings in a heartbeat. HD carries them, as does others. Even available in natural gas. I have seen the thermometer go up to 600 degrees.
Kinda sounds like I'm sold on them, doesn't it? Around $400 on sale.
DO NOT try to lift the box yourself.
Steve
I have had a Weber three-burner model with controls on the right, fold-out work surface on left, a really good thermometer for interior air temperature. Webers tend to be more expensive than some big box store models, but I am happy with performance, easy to clean, and myriad accessories always available long after you buy it. Go for the cast iron grill - the stamped steel one I have sucks. It warps, and is hard to clean. Also second the rec to consult Consumer Reports - it's worth a trip to the library. Roger
"Roger Taylor" <sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet> wrote in message

I second that on the cast iron grills. Mine are by Vermont Castings, and NOTHING sticks to them if you spray a little PAM on there, or if it does, just leave on for ten minutes and brush.
Roger, I have a question. How do you keep your SS shiny? On the SS components of my grills, they always get oily and sand sticks to them and they are kind of hard to clean. The cheap 509 degreaser spray from the Dollar Store works best for me, and every once in a while, I'll take the hose and the vacuum and the 509 and really give them a bath.
I have looked at the grills, and even the Weber as I may buy another grill for my cabin. I am just slightly reluctant, as my experience with SS is that it takes time to keep it up.
Thanks.
Steve
On Nov 4, 11:52 pm, "Roger Taylor" <sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet> wrote:

Same here. I have a Weber Genesis that is probably about 10 years old now and nearing the end of it's life. It's been a great grill. Only problem I had was that the wood shelves eventually started to rot away, but they've fixed that by going to the Trex like material on the new ones.
If you have natural gas avail at the house, I'd recommend looking into going with that as fuel. Have it here and not having to deal with the tanks is a big plus.
I have thought about going this route too Can you provide an estimate of cost?

Betty Boop

got a new Weber some months ago. A little more expensive, but has been a great grill.
I'm in the market for a new grill and will probably buy one tomorrow. I have done a bit of research and wanted to know what any recommendations there are regarding liquid propane gas grills. I am somewhat interested in the infrared grills but don't think I can afford one.
Any suggestions for LP grills $500 and below at the national stores?

I have a Weber and had to replace the grates. Went to the stainless steel ones and am very happy with it.