new "green" muriatic acid

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean- Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list the concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see from the web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "

Reply to
Frank Foder

Jim Elbrecht

Frank Foder wrote in news:d8449f41-ee0f-44ec-af4b- snipped-for-privacy@h14g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Han

Reply to
JIMMIE

Reply to
Frank

JIMMIE wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l4g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Han

I bought some of the green stuff intentionally because I was going to let my 17 year old nephew and a friend wash the white brick at my home.

They spent about 4 hours washing less than half of the front of the house. Lets just say my nephew lacks motivation. We scrapped the project.

Had I left them on the project, they would have eventually made it to the back of the house. On the back side of the house, I have a wooden porch. I was fearful that the acid could have damaged the wood. Anyone know just how strong the green stuff is? It says not to get it on metal or wood.

Reply to
Metspitzer

One would think that as the concentration gets lower the price would go down. Nope. Price hasn't changed. The water they use to dilute it must be pretty pricey stuff! In a few months they'll be selling vinegar for $7/gallon.

Reply to
Frank Foder

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Reply to
JimT

You're paying for packaging and shipping. They throw in the acid for nothing.

Reply to
krw

Strong acid can cause the hydrolysis of cellulose breaking it down to sugar.

Reply to
Frank

Yeah, right. That's why I can now get vinegar for $2/gallon. But, yeah, maybe the muriatic acid comes from Nepal or something.

metal or wood.

If I wanted to clean wood or metal, I sure wouldn't use muriatic acid unless I was trying to clean the wood or metal off of something.

Reply to
Frank Foder

Gasoline costs $3.50/gallon and Perrier is something like $6.

metal or wood.

Reply to
krw

Geez, that's right. That's why Perrier is so expensive. Because they dilute it with that same pricey water! Hard to dilute gasoline with water. That's why it's so cheap by comparison.

Reply to
Frank Foder

No, the dilute gasoline with BOOZE. What a waste. It dilutes the gasoline _and_ makes the vodka undrinkable! Only government could come up with an idea like that.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
Twayne