new "green" muriatic acid

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean- Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list the concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see from the web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "<25%" HCl, while the normal stuff is >30%. Grainger seems to sell their own "Green Envy" stuff that's a pathetic 20%.
Environmental safety?? Yes, it may be low fumes, but it's also low performance. For those who take deep breaths while bending over muriatic acid, this is the stuff for you!
This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and cleaners. The solution to screwing the customer is dilution of the solution.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 19:33:41 -0700 (PDT), Frank Foder

The last time I looked at lowe's they had the old stuff and the 'green' stuff. The 'green' was 1/2 the concentration of the regular.[and twice the price, if memory serves]
I got mine from the pool place, which was about 20-30% stronger than Lowe's' ''regular'. [OTOH-- it was also about 30% more expensive-- so I only saved shelf space and convenience]
Jim

HCl doesn't dissolve to greater than 30% in water. Get it a little warmed (just a little is enough), and the HCl gas will come out ---> fumes.
So 25% is just fine for almost any purpose, and 20% may also be fine, unless your specific purpose requires the strongest acid possible.
--
Best regards
Han

Most uses of HCL requires dilution anyway so just add a little less water.
Jimmie

As he said. Indeed.
--
Best regards
Han
On 9/8/2011 10:33 PM, Frank Foder wrote:

I think the azeotrope is 20% and concentrated HCl is 30%. Pure HCl is a gas.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 19:33:41 -0700 (PDT), Frank Foder

I bought some of the green stuff intentionally because I was going to let my 17 year old nephew and a friend wash the white brick at my home.
They spent about 4 hours washing less than half of the front of the house. Lets just say my nephew lacks motivation. We scrapped the project.
Had I left them on the project, they would have eventually made it to the back of the house. On the back side of the house, I have a wooden porch. I was fearful that the acid could have damaged the wood. Anyone know just how strong the green stuff is? It says not to get it on metal or wood.
One would think that as the concentration gets lower the price would go down. Nope. Price hasn't changed. The water they use to dilute it must be pretty pricey stuff! In a few months they'll be selling vinegar for $7/gallon.

You're paying for packaging and shipping. They throw in the acid for nothing.

Yeah, right. That's why I can now get vinegar for $2/gallon. But, yeah, maybe the muriatic acid comes from Nepal or something.

If I wanted to clean wood or metal, I sure wouldn't use muriatic acid unless I was trying to clean the wood or metal off of something.

Gasoline costs $3.50/gallon and Perrier is something like $6.

Geez, that's right. That's why Perrier is so expensive. Because they dilute it with that same pricey water! Hard to dilute gasoline with water. That's why it's so cheap by comparison.

No, the dilute gasoline with BOOZE. What a waste. It dilutes the gasoline _and_ makes the vodka undrinkable! Only government could come up with an idea like that.
On 9/9/2011 3:16 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Strong acid can cause the hydrolysis of cellulose breaking it down to sugar.
Frank Foder wrote:

The one that always gets me is the TSP that isn't tri-sodium phosphate. If you're gonna call the product TSP, it should be tri-sodium phosphate, not a degreasing alternative.
Jon
On 9/8/2011 9:33 PM, Frank Foder wrote:

If it works better than dry acid, for pools, it might not be that bad of an idea. Those fumes can kick you on your ass if you get a good enough of a whiff. I know I do everything I can to keep from breathing it in but usually do anyway.
In typed:

Now think about it; who do you suppose is REALLY behind the changes in dulution? It is not Lowes!