New granite - is this acceptable

Ditto. Caulk is not an "acceptable substitute."

That is a defect bad enough to get it all re-done, if it was a pit in the granite that they just filled, then its a hack-job thing to do. For crying out loud they didn't even get it to match.
Also they didnt epoxy the splash to the top or polish the bottom edge thats against the top, they left it rough cut with a ragged gap. On my installs the guys will polish that edge too, then epoxy the splash to the top making the whole thing seamless with no need for any caulk. They will custom color the epoxy mix on-site even using some dust from the same granite if they have to.

I think this has been said a couple times, but the minute I saw it I thought "That was a missed cut, and they filled it in." I would insist on a new backsplash. I'll bet they almost figure on you doing that. As suggested elsewhere, they might be able to remove the existing piece and polish the other side. If that is from a bad cut, though, it probably goes through to ther other side. In that case, they will have to come up with a piece that matches, which may be easy if they still have the same batch on hand. If they don't, you might want to look into your right of refusal on the replacement piece.