New granite - is this acceptable

Hi,

I just had a new granite counter top installed in a new bathroom. We don't have much experience with this kind of thing and noticed this on the back splash (see image). The line you can observe is not stone, but something softer (some kind of epoxy).

Is this kind of thing acceptable? I know natural stone isn't perfect, but in my opinion this looks bad.

How can they fix something like this? Is it possible to remove the backsplash or will they have to replace the whole counter top?

I haven't been able to connect with the stone person yet, but should I expect push back?

Thanks, PB2

PB2

Big Jim

Reply to
Art Todesco

Reply to
ransley

I wasn't home when it was being installed, so I was only able to comment on it at the time. I did notice it as soon as I walked in the bathroom, though.

I haven't paid for the granite yet. It almost looks like someone accidentally cut it in the wrong place, then filled it in with something else. I wasn't sure if this kind of thing was common and I was being oversensitive. It sounds like I'm not and it really does look bad.

This is a pretty standard order of stone, so I'm hoping it won't be too hard to match it.

Thanks, PB

Reply to
PB2

Reply to
Big Jim

Reply to
EJ Willson

Have him turn it around and polish the other side.

Reply to
ransley

Reply to
SteveB

This might be possible, if the blemish is not a cut that goes all the way through the piece.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
EJ Willson

On 8/17/2009 9:09 AM SteveB spake thus:

Didn't you mean to write "electric toothbrush"?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sure looks like a false-start cut to me, and should have been caught by the guy doing the polishing. If they don't have any matching pieces in the pile out back to make a new backsplash, I'd give them one shot at having their best installer patch it using a dremel, some dust off their cutting table, and the expoxy they use for invisible joints. Otherwise, they can eat the top and switch it out.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Big Jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r24g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Red Green

It's a cosmetic blemish, so there is no inspection other than the customer. Looks to me like they screwed up with the saw and tried to use the piece anyway. Even if it doesn't bother you, it may bother a potential buyer, so I'd make them replace it.

Fortunately, the material is relatively cheap and because it's a backsplash and not a surface joint, it doesn't need to match exactly. It's also mechanically easy to replace, so the installer isn't going to be out a lot of time or money doing the job the way it should have been.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Exactly. So why the hell didn't they replace it and "do it right" the first time?

PB2 wrote in news:9ccd2426-9dd8-4c10-a77c- snipped-for-privacy@r24g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Red Green

With the cultured marble they fixed defects like that with a mixture of ground up cultured marble of the same color and resin. If that is a cut that's been filled in it certainly could have been filled in with a better match of material. I would think someone who knew what they were doing would have made it match so well you would never have noticed it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yea but that tube of Dap window caulk was right there handy.

Reply to
Red Green

If it wasnt noticeable it wouldnt b e a problem.

Reply to
Big Jim

Reply to
windcrest