New Grainger catalog

Page 2 of 2
George wrote:

Call each company when an ad brick is left by that company. Explain that you did not request the ad brick, that you refuse the ad brick, and that you refuse to allow any agents of the ad brick company to trespass onto your property (except to retrieve the ad brick they have just left).
Do this for each company (three or four, generally, in an area).
No more ad bricks.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Just use the book as a convenient source of sheets of paper for your chimney charcoal starter for your BBQ.
On 2/10/2011 10:53 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

That only works if the same companies produce the book. We didn't get the "official book" since I canceled home phone service but one came two weeks ago. The others are always from someone new.

Sometimes a catalog will get you there faster than on-line search, but when catalogs get too big, they are restrictive. I hate opening a Grainger, Digi-Key, or MSC, I also need to put on my Digi-Key glasses for that. Digi-Key Electronics catalog is thicker than Grainger and probably has twice the print.
When I get a Jameco catalog, I actually thumb through the whole thing, like I used to do in all catalogs.
greg
David Nebenzahl wrote:

It's the Neman Markus (needless markup) of hardware.

Because that 8 pound 4,434 page catalog can be used by personnel in a building that has lost power and thus has no internet service to identify and then call around for the parts or equipment they need to get back up and running...
The new digital age with its on-line paperless wonders really craps out during power failures and ISP issues where service is interrupted, but the old tech printed catalog can be read by flashlight if need be and used to seek out the magical gizmos to make the kingdom whole again...
~~ Evan
On 2/8/2011 10:48 PM, Evan wrote:

You will find that a very large number of folks who must keep such enterprises running have a smartphone on their belt and likely an aircard in their notebook.

ROFL...
Umm... Smart phone ? Notebook... ROFL...
What planet are you from, maybe in Fortune 500 companies where they have managers and executives who don't ever touch a tool or fix anything who work to support the facilities maintenance aspect of their operation, but at 99.9999% of the institutional facilities out there the maintenance workers get a two-way radio, maybe a cell phone (sometimes a Nextel) and access to a computer in the office which needs both power and comm to operate... A LOT of things are ordered out of printed catalogs still to this day by the greasy people who actually do the work even in the digital age...
~~ Evan
On 2/10/2011 1:47 PM, Evan wrote:

Earth, circa 2011 AD. Times are changing. Smaller guys are typically more technologically nimble because they need to be and the fact that they are small often lets them make their own choices without meeting some megacorp standard.
I was just working at a facility today that is very much not fortune 500. The staff consists of two people. One guy has a smartphone and the other guy has an aircard in his notebook. They also have a computer in the office.
I am in and out of lots of facilities and it is unusual anymore not to see this.

Weird...
Must have been a contractor or outsourced vendor maintenance service...
Care to disclose what area this was in, as some places are much more techno-hippie than others...
Still saying that maintenance techs with internet surfing smart phones are rare rather than the typical situation...
Even though you seem to be in a more high tech environ...
~~ Evan
On 2/11/2011 12:26 PM, Evan wrote:

The two folks are employees of the guy who owns the enterprise.

PA, there is nothing particularly bleeding edge about this area.

Don't just sit there complaining. Take the tome to your library as a donation (school or whatever). Then write a polite note to Grainger, tell them what you did and have your name removed from the catalog list. It's called activism, and our glorious leader in D.C. would approve even such small steps.
Joe