New Grainger catalog

Page 1 of 2
Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the latest Grainger catalog.
Unbelievable.
As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead trees.
I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit, considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.
Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought one little thing from them all last year.

?

Many of them go to the maintenance department where there may not be computers or internet access. We got the McMaster-Carr catalog last week. I've not used the paper for years, but our printed book goes to the shop where it is used frequently.
As for web access, McMaster is far superior than Grainger and gets 99% of our orders for that reason.
On 2/8/2011 5:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sure, but that is getting rarer and rarer. I am in and out of a lot of facilities and it is pretty rare to see folks without Internet access. I was working at a place yesterday where the maintenance guy has a notebook with an aircard and a smartphone. I can't think of a place I have been in where they don't have a computer available for research and ordering stuff. Even the remote facility I visit some times that is a 4 mile ride on a dirt road has a satellite dish for Internet.

Yes, some companies really don't get it. I buy from one company mainly because they are the only one who sells certain products and it is almost impossible to find stuff unless you know an exact part number.
One company where we buy stuff used to produce a thick paper catalog. They stopped that quite some time ago and started mailing out CDs. They stopped mailing the CDs some years ago.

My old boss liked MSC MUCH better than McMaster at the time. I don't look at them much but my current boss always asks me if I want anything from MSC. I usually say no since electronics is my prime requirment. I do deal with Grainger mostly and they give me a good price from my company and I can also pick it up if i want.
greg

Are they cheaper than Grainger?
?
wrote:

About the same price. Never found enough of a difference to do a lot of comparison shopping between them, but on big items, I can get a discount from Grainger if I call and ask. My time cost money also. Not long ago I was looking for a particular solenoid valve. After 15 minutes on Grainger web site, I found more stuff to hunt through. In two minutes I found what I wanted on McMaster and placed the order. Next day delivery 99.9% of the time.

Thanks. :)

Personally, I think that Sears Roebuck would still be a viable business if they hadn't abandoned their catalog. I love Graingers. I've been buying from them for around 25 years. I also do electrical work for the local branch and they've hired me to troubleshoot problems with electrical equipment bought and installed by others. IMO, THEY HAVE THE WORST ONLINE CATALOG I'VE EVER SEEN!!!! I can't even find things that I know are in the catalog. If they ever intend to abandon their paper catalog, they better get their online act together or they're doomed
On 2/8/2011 12:58 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

And if you find out let me know how to stop getting phone books. I can't remember the last time I opened one and we haven't had a home phone in years. Verizon and the two other companies who deliver their version locally seem to think phone books are still relevant.
On 02/08/11 08:02 am, George wrote:

Easier to read in the bathroom than having to take the computer with you.

Wait until your internet connection goes out and you haven't memorized your ISP's phone number.
Perce
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

This used to be true, but now that small tablet devices are readily available, it's less true. It's also easier to browse through a paper catalog to find interesting stuff you didn't know you needed.

My cable Internet connection rarely goes out, when it does I still have dial backup (I think, haven't had to use it in at least a year), and anyone with a "smart phone" or "air card" has that for backup.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Call "Ernestine". Remember her? http://tinyurl.com/ahh9j
My gripe is grainger. I buy nearly nothing from them anymore. I used to buy cases of expensive motors, and other things in quanity and got a discount:)
Then a beancounter said no discounts unless the customer is buying over 6 grand a year.
beancounter fails to realize the small customer of today might be the large customer of tomorrow.
who will never exist, since the company sent the clear message we dont want you......
I have found other sources except for a couple cheap items.....
every few years grainger reinvents themselves, only to shoot themselves in the foot
On 2/8/2011 8:08 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Numbers are in the contact list on the computer which is also synced to my smartphone. If not I can look them up using the smartphone.

<Snip>
I like Grainger, but since I am not in business, they won't sell to me. At times, when I couldn't find an item any place else, I would lie to them and tell them I worked for the school district, or some such thing, but I hate to do that. I wish I could buy there.
Bob-tx
On Feb 10, 10:46am, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:

just print yourself a fake business card, and pay cash.
its all a ruse grainger reps have asked me can we use your account for someone who cant buy here they are paying cash, thats fine by me.....
Bob-tx wrote:

You can get around that if you want. I don't run a business per-se, but I do do consulting and freelance work on the side, and that is reported in my tax returns. Faxing them a copy of my schedule C (if I recall the form correctly) was sufficient to get me an account.
On 2/8/2011 8:02 AM, George wrote:

I think I nailed this one. They continue to send phone books becasue the "yellow pages" needs to keep the circulation numbers up so they can charge more for ads. I used to run an ad in 5 different books every year and they do use circulation to price yellow page ads. Every book is different with different ad pricing.
George wrote:

Call them up and tell them to pick up the ones they left, and never leave any more. I did this with each of them (we have four of them in this area), and the only one I get now is the one from the phone company, which is how I want it.
Jon
On 2/8/2011 8:31 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Problem is that new phone books keep appearing so even if you notify the one who left it on your front sidewalk someone else will throw one there next year. I want zero phone books since we never ever use them.