New Grainger catalog

Page 1 of 2  

So there it was on my doorstep; a medium-sized but heavy box. Opened it up and there was the brang-new Grainger catalog. All 4,130 pages of it, most in 4-color printing. Nicely bound in a heavy cover that could probably withstand any kind of industrial solvents.
Having been a printer (offset) in another lifetime, I find it amazing that they can continue to print and distribute this gigantic catalog. Especially considering the tiny amount of business I do with them yearly. This thing must cost them $10-20 each to mail out.
--
You were wrong, and I'm man enough to admit it.

- a Usenet "apology"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, but isn't it great to have, if they don't carry it, then it is almost impossible to find somewhere else.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

At the prices they charge they probably make back the price of the catalog on one order.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

At the prices they charge they probably make back the price of the catalog on one order.
Not everyone is charged the same prices. They have a system of discounts in several categories. When you maintain a certain buying level in a category the price you're charged gets lower
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

BOY CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN:(
My problem with Grainger, I dont buy a lot from them, but USED to buy cases of 100 buck motors at a time
Grainger STOPPED giving quanity discounts unless you buy 3 grand worth or stuff a year.
so granger is now the LAST place I buy at...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm sure the price of yours is offset (no pun intended) by those of us that spend thousands annually. What really amazes me is that the Grainger catalog is imo the most well thought out and easy to use catalog I've ever used, while their online catalog is the exact opposite. I know for a fact that their original online catalog was redone by a second company, because it was so bad, but the new one is no improvement at all.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

They ought to copy McMaster-Carr's online catalog. It ain't perfect, but it's pretty darn good. My main quibble with McM-C is the fact that they don't show brand names or mfgr. part numbers. In fact, Grainger could just copy just about everything else that McM-C does, including easy online ordering and delivery (although if they used anyone but UPS, that would be even better) and not being jerks about not being a big corporate customer. I always feel guilty when buying stuff for personal use from Grainger, because the first thing they ask is "who do you work for?" whereas McM-C just takes my order and the stuff shows up outside my front door, usually the next day. And I've been ordering a LOT from McM-C lately (well, not a lot in terms of dollar sales, but a lot for a homeowner, probably one order every month or so) because it's just so much more convenient than driving around to all the different hardware stores, not finding what you're looking for, then ordering online anyway. (it's been real bad since Chesapeake Marine Fasteners closed...)
I just got my Grainger catalog today as well, although I must not be on the Mr. Happy list as mine was just softcover. Haven't flipped through it yet but I'm sure that day will come soon enough.
nate
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
They ought to copy McMaster-Carr's online catalog. It ain't perfect, but it's pretty darn good. My main quibble with McM-C is the fact that they don't show brand names or mfgr. part numbers. In fact, Grainger could just copy just about everything else that McM-C does, including easy online ordering and delivery (although if they used anyone but UPS, that would be even better) and not being jerks about not being a big corporate customer. ************************************************************
My complaint also. I order much more from McMaster, but if I need a particular brand, I go to Grainger first. If it is a large order, I call our account manager and ask for a discount and always get it.. Grainger has a good replacement parts list. Ed
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote Re Re: New Grainger catalog:

Yeah, I don't like that, so I stopped buying from them.
--
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Caesar Romano wrote:

Well, that's their intent. They're set up wholesalers and really just don't want retail business (which translates to generally small, random orders).
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
dpb wrote:

Yesterday I received my Mouser electronics catalog. Almost the size of Grainger, just bigger like a phone book, and they send 3 or 4 catalogs a year! They take single item orders, it could be 10 cents, and ship it very cheap USPS. No service charge. How do they do it? Their warehouse is all run by computers and robotics. There is a very good chance that most anything you buy from them has never yet been touched by a human. No one even touches the packages until they are picked up.
I haven't been out all day (sick with a cold), maybe the Grainger catalog came today? I'd better check before tomorrows mail comes!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Just say the name of some big company in your town and pay cash. They don't mind a little extra volume.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2/4/2010 12:44 PM N8N spake thus:

Well, all you gotta do is open an account with them. That's what I did. I'm basically a handyman, a one-guy operation with a business card. I gave them my contact info and bingo! I had an account. No grilling, no request for my business license (don't have one).
I probably buy less than $100 worth of stuff from them a year, but I still get good service (and the catalog) from them.

Mine was softcover too; but it's a heavy cover, either varnished or laminated in some kind of plastic.
Plus the catalog makes a great doorstop if you need one.
--
You were wrong, and I'm man enough to admit it.

- a Usenet "apology"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Chuckle. I use mine (from 2 years ago) as a monitor stand, at work. I fell off their list about then, and have felt too guilty to try to get back on, seeing as how my current duties don't include personally buying stuff. Love leafing through their catalog, though, and visitors to my cube that recognize the name give me a grin when they see it.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David Nebenzahl wrote:

It's amazing. I ordered a small thing (forgot now what it was) from a third party that came from them and next time I turn around I have one of these giant catalogs in my mail box. They must be hurting for business.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well at the prices they charge, I don't think they have a profit problem.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

some years ago a new beancounter made them more efficent:( Turned of all the phones at the branches, and set up a central info call in number. It was TERRIBLE. The phone reps couldnt answer the questions since they didnt have the merchandise to look at.
a friend worked at grainger and retired, he reported they lost 20% of their gross sales. and never got them back.......
mr efficency beancounter got fired, no doubt moving on to muck up another company........:(
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

damn, sounds like what happened to our service dispatch...
nate
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Is he the same bright bulb that put the index in the middle of the book? I've almost gotten used to it, so I'm sure it's time to go back to the old system at the back of the book.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

INTENTIONAL:( like moving everything in a grocery store around every few years.
it get you wondering around buying other stuff you wouldnt of otherwise looked at
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.