New Glacier Bay faucet slow to drain

I just installed a Glacier Bay bathroom faucet, and while the faucet portion works fine, the supplied drain is slow. Water takes a couple of minutes to drain from a half-full bathroom sink.
At first I thought the plunger was not being lifted out far enough, but lifting it with my fingers seemed to have little effect. The pivot arm below the sink (the one that screws into the drain iteself, sorry don't know correct term) seems to be traveling the full range of motion.
Any ideas?

I should have mentioned the old drain work fine, so it's not a matter of a clogged up drain.
Remove the plunger and see what happens. If it drains normally, the plunger is restricting the flow and needs more adjustment.

Tried removing the plunger and it drained fine. After much tinkering with the drain valve assy, finally got the drain rate to an acceptable level.
Thanks for your help!