New GE Washer Starts/Stops on Spin Cycle

Greetings,

After a couple of days of internet searching, I have no answer, and decided to ask here. I have a new style GE washing machine (plastic tub). Recently the spin cycle has broken. When I looked at the machine it appears that the spin cycle will start and then the motor cuts off and back on continuously. The washer will fill with water and drain without a problem. Even with the water drained the spin cycle won't run. The main motor turns a couple of times and then starts and stops. Any idea what may be the cause?

Thanks, James

Reply to
the_crowbar

New? Still under warranty? If yes, why not just pick up the phone?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

More "New to me". I bought this used about a year ago, but it sat in storage for most of that time. It looks like it is brand new, but I do not know the exact age.

Thanks, James

Reply to
the_crowbar

Check your library for appliance repair manuals. If no luck, call a few appliance parts places. Some company puts out a nice series of books. Before buying the book, call GE. As recently as 10 years ago, they had phone people designated for helping do-it-yourselfers, and they were VERY helpful when I called them. If that service still exists, get the book, and you should be able to diagnose & fix the thing yourself.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

one thing to check would be the door switch.

After a couple of days of internet searching, I have no answer, and decided to ask here. I have a new style GE washing machine (plastic tub). Recently the spin cycle has broken. When I looked at the machine it appears that the spin cycle will start and then the motor cuts off and back on continuously. The washer will fill with water and drain without a problem. Even with the water drained the spin cycle won't run. The main motor turns a couple of times and then starts and stops. Any idea what may be the cause?

Thanks, James

Reply to
stevie

Stevie,

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think that is the cause. This machine has a magnetic lid switch so I don't think I can clean it. Neither the sensor or the magnet is loose. If I lift the lid while the machine is filling it stops immediatley, so I guess the sensor is working ok.

Thanks, James

stevie wrote:

Reply to
the_crowbar

I have a very similar problem with one difference - after 3 or 4 attempted start ups my machine will go into a normal spin and complete the wash mormally. I checked the clutch first and then determined the clicking sound was coming from the transmission continuously trying to engage. Of course, the problem wasn't likely mechanical but electrical. A switch in the Timer not making good solid connection at beginning of the detent might cause an uncertain turn-on/the motor would be changing direction at this point in order to go into a spin mode so several switches could be involved. I realize the control board puts out the final motor voltages but would likely remain intermittant or dead through out the spin cycle if the problem were in the PC board. These are all educational guesses right now

- let you know how the research turns out. The GE Tech who has experience with such problems may have something we overlooked. My analysis is based on how systems in general work.

Reply to
danul

The Transmission seems to be the culprit after all - that is in my case - may not be similar to your problem - I turned the Washer on its side and got it to operate without any fill and drain. put it in spin mode and now could more easily watch the components envolved. The motor was not switching on & off as I had supposed, instead there was a steady drive torque on the transmission which made these lould clicking sounds even as it was turning and finally quit as the motor went into high speed.

Reply to
danul