New gas water heater making popping noise

We have a 2 month old house with a gas water heater that makes popping noises each time the hot water is turned on.
I have seen where hard water is an issue. We do have a water softner as well.
I have also seen where calcium buildup is a problem but this thing is only 2 months old.
There is also a small hot water recirculating pump since the house is pretty big but the noise seems to be coming out of the top of the hot water tank.
Ideas anyone?
Thanks
what is the temp set at, Sounds like its boiling
D wrote:

If you have high service pressure (water), or thermal expansion is creating transient high pressure, the heated water on the bottom of the tank will burst into bubbles of steam when the pressure suddenly is lowered (by opening a tap). It will get more pronounced as mineral buildup occurs later on.
To find out, you'd have to put a pressure gauge on the tank. If this is what is happening, the best fix is installation of a pressure reducing valve *and* an expansion tank.
Jim

popping
is
is
hot
I'll add that you should test the cold water for hardness, then the hot and do this daily from one regeneration past the next by a day or so. You may have hardness break through and it might be on a big laundry day etc.. That will put hardwater into the water heater. Of course if the hot water shows hardness you know you have a problem with the softener. That could be a simple as setting the unit correctly for your water use, or raising the salt dose, changing from potassium chloride to actual salt, or increasing the dose etc.. Another cause would be flow rates too high for the softener to successfully treat all the hardness during heavy water use.
Gary Quality Water Associates