New Gas Pack

I'm in the process of replacing an existing Bryant gas pack that has developed a hole in the heat exchanger. I've gotten proposals on Amana, Rudd, Comfortmaker and Trane. One estimater commented that Trane uses old-style reciprocating tech compressors (their climatetuff)...when everyone else in the industry has gone to scroll type compressors. Is this correct? I know the installer is the key issue here - although it is basically a swap out - but I'd appreciate any comments from industry pro's on equipment reliability and which companies honor their warranties and which fight you tooth and nail on any claim. Thanks

swap
every manufacture has recips and scrolls. You pay more for scrollls and their SEER number is usually higher. You do get what you pay for in the equipment to a point. Some of the high end equipment just baffles me on why anyone would pay that much for it. A lot depends on how long you plan to stay in the home.
http://198.147.238.24/ac_calc/default.asp
Check this out and play "what if" for a while.
I used this page when I was considering replacing my 3t unit. Since I am not planning on staying more than 5 years I declined the change out as it was only going to save me $250 a year over the current unit. Not hardly worth the $5400.00 investment in my mind.

you
why
not
Good God... At that price, what SEER rating 3 ton were you looking at? Just installed a 5 ton 12 for less..