New Garbage Disposal Recommendations???

Page 2 of 2
Wow, Thanks for all the quick responses everyong. My old one was an InSink and was direct wired/batch. For the new cabs I installed a duplex on the wall split into a switched (GD) and constant (DW). I already have a new power cord and plumbers putty.
Based on your recommendations I'm favoring the InSink. And will look at the Evolution series for noise as the new sink is double bowl 18g SS.
Thanks again all.

I buy the cheapest InSinkErator they make. Unless you are grinding up dead bodies you don't need anything more. And teh cheap ones take up less space. They usually develop a leak on the side from the casting corroding after about 10 years.
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 00:14:52 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I, for one, have seen that happen on a cheap 1/2 HP unit just last week!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7426/9315125119_ca08089d74_c.jpg
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 16:29:21 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

That's not strictly because the unit was cheap. That's what happens when you let garbage sit inside the disposal and hold water from draining properly. It corrodes everything. That's why you had a disposal with water leaking out the bottom, too much time with garbage sitting in it holding water and corroding all the parts. Possibly a $350 unit will withstand that kind of neglect longer but if you just run the disposal every day or more to keep it flushed of all teh garbage you won't have the problem. I see this with my rentals, just like I see the drains clog. Same cheap disposal that will last me for 10 years is trashed by renters in two years because they let is sit with garbage in it and let rocks, and coins, and pop tops and crap get in it. I won't disagree that more expensive units might take the abuse better, but if you don't abuse them the cheap ones are just fine.
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:02:52 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

You're probably right.
That wasn't "my" garbage disposal unit, by the way.
I have three in my house, and all three have been there since the day I bought the house and are in working order.
That rusted out one was at a friend's house, and it was 10 years old, and, likely, water filled it under a bit of pressure because it apparently split the seam at the same time the washing machine backed up, filling the same kitchen sink with water.

Unless you prefer a lot less noise from your disposal. It's up to the user if 'almost silent' is worth the extra cost.

A lot of the "less space" is because of less noise insulation. It's a trade off. More space under the sink means more noise above the sink. Once again, that a choice the user can make, assuming (s)he has all of the information upon which to base the decision.

Based on my experience, rusted out GD's is common across all brands eventually.
----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup
...snip....

http://www.youtube.com/v/faSsKir-Ky4

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:42:12 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

There is also the question of how much difference the noise level makes to you. In the video, the Evolution is definitely quieter. But how much is that worth? That depends on you and how much you use it. While the noise of the std model is higher, it doesn't bother me that much. I run mine every couple of days for 15 secs. I guess if you're running it for 5 mins every day, then it could matter a lot more.

Not 5 mins every day, but certainly every day. Usually more than once, for 15-20 sec each.
We make sure it's been run before using the dishwasher. Dishwashers hate draining through a GD full of soggy crap.
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 21:42:12 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That was a cool video!
On Monday, July 22, 2013 9:14:52 PM UTC-10, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On principle, I bought the second lowest power one in the line. Often the a bsolute bottom in any line takes desperate design compromises.
I regret it because wear and tear has reduced the power so it can't handle anything but the easiest or pre-chopped items. Some idiot (me) poured sandy mop water down that drain, and it apparently didn't all flush... and maybe sand got in the bearings in later grind episodes.
I also will keep it until it leaks. Then buy the third from the bottom powe r.
dumbstruck wrote:

Hi, My old unit never leaked. Dull grinder blades prompted me to replace. Just untwist and drop it, move the cord twist back on. Hope it lasts another ~15 years. y tehn maybe I won't be in this world, LOL!
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 20:50:43 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

How would one know that their blades are dull?