New garage

Page 1 of 2
Is $6900.00 a good price for a 2 car garage with slab and 2 steel doors?
Given the wealth of information supplied, I'd say it's certainly a better price than $7000.00, but not quite as good as say $6800.00

Depends. Are you the contractor or the homeowner?
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Definitely possibly maybe or not. I'll need to sort through all of the details first..
George wrote:

Use your imagination. Stick built on a slab included. vinyl siding asphalt roof 2 steel doors. If you can fit 2 cars in it that should give you an idea of the demensions.
What do you need, the molecular structure of the wood?

Let's see if I understand you. You believe that the description "2 car garage" covers all such structures, anywhere on the planet, all construction methods, all possible code requirements (including seismic, flood and hurricane) and that they should all cost the same to build to the nearest hundred dollars. Does that sum up your belief?
I think you need to use a little less imagination and more facts. I can price facts.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

2 car garage of what dimension? Does it include eaves trough? Electrical wiring? opener? inside wall finish? heating? shingle of what quality? My imagination goes on and on..... and where I live building a garage needs permit.

*Is that an insulated slab?

*What is the rated life of the siding?

*What is the rated life of the roofing materials?

*Are they insulated doors?

*Will it be wide enough to open a car door fully when another car is already inside?

*No, but there are different grades of wood. Is your bid for the cheapest grade of wood possible?
Van Chocstraw wrote:

No, but the location would help. If in mid-town Manhattan, you've got a bargain. If in southwest Texas, it's way too high.

Maybe, but if you hired a guy that worked for me you would not be happy. Get bids , check refrences, go look at their jobs. The city might give info to you if they have complaints, and the courthouse has open records. The guy I hired lost 1 case every year from hack work, and kept all assets in his wifes name, I found out to late after he screwed up, I won but but cant collect. The city building inspector should be very familiar with the contractor, he may not openly state anything but should be able to steer you to get info on him.
On Sun, 03 May 2009 11:37:37 -0400, Van Chocstraw

That looks like a good price to me.
On Sun, 03 May 2009 11:37:37 -0400, against all advice, something
say:

Get five bids. Toss out the lowest and the highest, and then make your selection from the remaining three. It's the only way to know.
--

Real men don\'t text.

Steve Daniels wrote:

(square feet, roof style, shingles and siding to be used, any utilities or rough-ins for possible future utilities, size of overhead door, how heavy a load will the concrete have to support, etc.) I have run into that repeatedly- I tell them what I want, and when the fat envelope shows up in the mailbox, it is either silent on the material callout list, or they spec'd what THEY wanted to use. No sin in being clueless, but if you are, it may be better to ask friends and coworkers who they have used for garages and remodels. If the same name comes up repeatedly, with no swear words, that is a pretty good indication of a reliable company.
-- aem sends...

There is a place I pass that sells modular homes. On display, they have a couple of two car garages with loft above. Price sign on the garage is $12,990. I'd say your price is good by comparison, but depends on what is included.

have the cheapest siding , garage doors and shingles Homedepot has..It will be on a 4 inch (on the edges , less in the center) uninsulated slab with just wire mesh and no rebar poured on a couple of inches of uncompacted gravel ,no apron , broom finish and no expension joints. 2X4wall studs 24"OC..2X6 rafters 24"OC with half inch OSB instead of 5/8 TG OSB with collar ties every 4 feet..No felt paper or drip edge under shingles..No windows or entry doors..No wiring or lights...I think you get the idea...You tend to get what you pay for...12,000 is what I paid for a 28X32 built the RIGHT WAY...But hey it's your baby....
benick wrote:

That's just what I was looking for.

the cheapest of anything is rarely a good long term value.........
bob haller wrote:

Depends on what stage of life you are at. If there is no long term in your future, why bother?

Then why ask the question in the first place? If you don't care, don't ask people that do. Take out a loan and let the people that come after you worry about it.

Reminds me of a situation with a friend of a friend that had an addition put on his house. They basically put living space on top of an existing deck. (Duh!) I forget all the details, but it came out to something like $15 or $20 per sq ft. Within a few months the old deck had sunk, cracks in the walls, no doors would open, roof pulling away from the old roof resulting in leaks, no decent insulation so the place was cold and drafty. Needless to say, they got what they paid for.