New galvanized pipe = nasty water taste, smell

Title pretty much sums it up.
I replaced my kitchen fixtures & all stop valves, feed lines, etc. For the unsoftened (drinking) water tap, I had to replace 3 feet of copper leading to the stop valve, and I used a galvanized 1/2" 3' nipple.
Right off the bat, the water had a really nasty taste & smell until enough water is run to empty what was in that length of pipe. Afterward it's OK. Initially I can draw a glass of water and it tastes OK, until the water that was sitting in the pipe reaches the faucet. At that time, I can smell the water right away.
I thought a little time should allow for a little corrosion on the pipe wall & the problem should cure itself. It hasn't, though, and it's been about three weeks. It has eased up in intensity, though.
So the question is: Should water smell & taste lousy for a long time after galvanized pipe is installed? It has an oily, metallic smell & taste.
Robert Barr wrote:

Galv pipe is usually quite inert. I can imagine some oily taste/smell from cutting oils used in threading, etc. I wonder if the metallic smell and taste is due to some reaction with whatever is in the un-softened water. Or with the copper it's connected to?
I think I'd be tempted to replace it with a length of copper.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@forharvest.net says...

What type of compund did you use on the threads, and how much did you use?
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Hi,
Had the pipe gotten REALLY hot ? If it gets hot enough to oxidize the coating, it will smell, and taste metalic. If that is your problem, BE CAREFUL; it's bad for yuh !
Did you use an old, oily pipe compound ? They're the best, old methods almost always are; but you've got to use restraint, applying them. (I once had a local plumber, steal a half-gallon tub, of the stuff.)
Did you bounce the copper around enough to loosen acretions in it ?
The bottom line is, that if it's easy to reach, then redo it; if it's a bitch to get to, then get down and analyze the contamination, closely enough to figure out just what it is.
Ken .
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:34:36 GMT, Robert

See, I considered that too, but the whole rest of the system is galvanized, and I've never had this before.
I bought this nipple at Home Depot and noted that it was made in China once I got it home. I swear, Chinese-made plumbing, for me, always means 'rework'. I keep waiting for the effect to fade away, but it's pretty persistent.
I think I'll replace it, but I'll go with galvanized from a plumbing supply this time. Frustrating.
Even if I had a house full of galvanized pipes, I would go through the extra effort to put in copper for any pieces I replaced.
Robert Barr wrote:

Quite likely it's either the pipe dope accidently got inside or the oils/etc., inside the pipe nipple. I'd try simply washing it out really well when you get it off and fill it w/ water and see if it removes the taste. The parts from the plumbing supply are about as likely to be Chinese these days, too, I'm noticing. :(

Just a few wraps of Teflon tape at each threaded connection.
Robert Barr wrote:

He's planning on living > another 75 years or so 'til they corrode again... :)

Curious as to why.