New galvanized pipe = nasty water taste, smell

Galv pipe is usually quite inert. I can imagine some oily taste/smell from cutting oils used in threading, etc. I wonder if the metallic smell and taste is due to some reaction with whatever is in the un-softened water. Or with the copper it's connected to?

I think I'd be tempted to replace it with a length of copper.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

What type of compund did you use on the threads, and how much did you use?

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Title pretty much sums it up.

I replaced my kitchen fixtures & all stop valves, feed lines, etc. For the unsoftened (drinking) water tap, I had to replace 3 feet of copper leading to the stop valve, and I used a galvanized 1/2" 3' nipple.

Right off the bat, the water had a really nasty taste & smell until enough water is run to empty what was in that length of pipe. Afterward it's OK. Initially I can draw a glass of water and it tastes OK, until the water that was sitting in the pipe reaches the faucet. At that time, I can smell the water right away.

I thought a little time should allow for a little corrosion on the pipe wall & the problem should cure itself. It hasn't, though, and it's been about three weeks. It has eased up in intensity, though.

So the question is: Should water smell & taste lousy for a long time after galvanized pipe is installed? It has an oily, metallic smell & taste.

Reply to
Robert Barr

Hi,

Had the pipe gotten REALLY hot ? If it gets hot enough to oxidize the coating, it will smell, and taste metalic. If that is your problem, BE CAREFUL; it's bad for yuh !

Did you use an old, oily pipe compound ? They're the best, old methods almost always are; but you've got to use restraint, applying them. (I once had a local plumber, steal a half-gallon tub, of the stuff.)

Did you bounce the copper around enough to loosen acretions in it ?

The bottom line is, that if it's easy to reach, then redo it; if it's a bitch to get to, then get down and analyze the contamination, closely enough to figure out just what it is.

Ken .

Reply to
Real Name

See, I considered that too, but the whole rest of the system is galvanized, and I've never had this before.

I bought this nipple at Home Depot and noted that it was made in China once I got it home. I swear, Chinese-made plumbing, for me, always means 'rework'. I keep waiting for the effect to fade away, but it's pretty persistent.

I think I'll replace it, but I'll go with galvanized from a plumbing supply this time. Frustrating.

Reply to
Robert Barr

Even if I had a house full of galvanized pipes, I would go through the extra effort to put in copper for any pieces I replaced.

Reply to
scott_z500

Quite likely it's either the pipe dope accidently got inside or the oils/etc., inside the pipe nipple. I'd try simply washing it out really well when you get it off and fill it w/ water and see if it removes the taste. The parts from the plumbing supply are about as likely to be Chinese these days, too, I'm noticing. :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Just a few wraps of Teflon tape at each threaded connection.

Reply to
Robert Barr

He's planning on living > another 75 years or so 'til they corrode again... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Curious as to why.