New Furnace vs. Repair

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have another contractor coming out tomorrow to evaluate the heat exchanger. He said that the replacement cost that the original contractor quoted was at least double what he would normally charge.
Yes, have another contractor confirm whether the heat exchanger is cracked, and the cost to replace. Secondly, be leary of quotes of how much you will save. Add up your gas bills for the last 2 years. If you have gas hot water, reduce it by 20%. I had a guy tell me that he could save me $500/year on heating with a brand new ultra high efficiency furnace. However, he never bothered to ask how much I was paying now. I was only paying $750/year heating my home, so there is NO way his furnace could save me that much.
Buyer Beware
drewink wrote:

Yes, have another contractor confirm whether the heat exchanger is cracked, and the cost to replace. Secondly, be leary of quotes of how much you will save. Add up your gas bills for the last 2 years. If you have gas hot water, reduce it by 20%. I had a guy tell me that he could save me $500/year on heating with a brand new ultra high efficiency furnace. However, he never bothered to ask how much I was paying now. I was only paying $750/year heating my home, so there is NO way his furnace could save me that much.
Buyer Beware
drewink wrote:

Like I said, all these guys are crooks.

I suspect you guys were doing some bad pot.
In any case, everyone should have a detector to monitor carbon monoxide, don't you agree.
DK wrote:

I do have a Carbon Monoxide detector. I will post tomorrow what this new guy says. He came highly regarded on my community web site. You all have saved me a ton o' cash. Thanks alot!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

Yes, but no carbon monoxide here. Lessee, how much of my high-school chemistry do I remember?
CH4 + 02 --> CO2 + H20
Not sure of the proportions, but that's what happens when you burn *natural gas* (not propane). Propane, yes, you'll get CO.
--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

A different contractor came out today. He found no rust, and no problems with the heat exchanger. He said it looked like a normal, 5 year old furnace. Go figure.

Yeah. Go figure. Go tell the first guy he's either an idiot or a crook, and then call the Better Business Bureau. That'll help someone else before they get bent over.

My furnace was about one year old when it sprung a leak in the condensate tank (??) within the furnace. Rather than go for a tear down of the furnace to fix/replace, Trane offered a replacement (similar) furnace. I took the new furnace. Have you tried calling Trane direct? MLD