New Furnace vs. Repair

Ahh please excuse my bad attitude after nearly dying from carbon monoxide poisioning from a bad hot water tank flue. The chimney cap cracked causing the flue liner to fall in and gave 2 of us poisioning. luckily my buddy mark who was here is a volunteer fireman and recognized the symptoms.......

as is we were both very ill for a couple days.

direct vent appliances marked 99% efficent are different than regular furnaces and must have sensors to protect you from co2 and oxygen depletion.

THE RUKES ABOUT CRACKED HEAT EXCHANGERS ARE THERE BECAUSE IT HAS CAUSED DEATH AND SEVERE ILLNESS.......

Reply to
hallerb

I have another contractor coming out tomorrow to evaluate the heat exchanger. He said that the replacement cost that the original contractor quoted was at least double what he would normally charge.

Reply to
drewink

Yes, have another contractor confirm whether the heat exchanger is cracked, and the cost to replace. Secondly, be leary of quotes of how much you will save. Add up your gas bills for the last 2 years. If you have gas hot water, reduce it by 20%. I had a guy tell me that he could save me $500/year on heating with a brand new ultra high efficiency furnace. However, he never bothered to ask how much I was paying now. I was only paying $750/year heating my home, so there is NO way his furnace could save me that much.

Buyer Beware

drew> > DK wrote:

Reply to
TrailRunner

Yes, have another contractor confirm whether the heat exchanger is cracked, and the cost to replace. Secondly, be leary of quotes of how much you will save. Add up your gas bills for the last 2 years. If you have gas hot water, reduce it by 20%. I had a guy tell me that he could save me $500/year on heating with a brand new ultra high efficiency furnace. However, he never bothered to ask how much I was paying now. I was only paying $750/year heating my home, so there is NO way his furnace could save me that much.

Buyer Beware

drew> > DK wrote:

Reply to
TrailRunner

Like I said, all these guys are crooks.

Reply to
DK

I suspect you guys were doing some bad pot.

In any case, everyone should have a detector to monitor carbon monoxide, don't you agree.

Reply to
DK

I do have a Carbon Monoxide detector. I will post tomorrow what this new guy says. He came highly regarded on my community web site. You all have saved me a ton o' cash. Thanks alot!

Reply to
drewink

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

Yes, but no carbon monoxide here. Lessee, how much of my high-school chemistry do I remember?

CH4 + 02 --> CO2 + H20

Not sure of the proportions, but that's what happens when you burn

*natural gas* (not propane). Propane, yes, you'll get CO.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

A different contractor came out today. He found no rust, and no problems with the heat exchanger. He said it looked like a normal, 5 year old furnace. Go figure.

Reply to
drewink

Yeah. Go figure. Go tell the first guy he's either an idiot or a crook, and then call the Better Business Bureau. That'll help someone else before they get bent over.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom