New furnace ?

Page 2 of 2
On 06/19/2014 08:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Will look into it thanks

About 15 years ago I had janitrol furnace installed 100k btu, never had any problems, in the 5 years I had the house. In this house, 8 years ago, had goodman 70 k btu, dual stage, and 2.5 ton air, AND gas line run, for just over $5k. No problems.
You can look up prices on line for goodman equip. Figure a minimum of double that for total minimum reasonable cost.
Greg
On 06/19/2014 11:51 PM, gregz wrote:

Well, I better talk to my agent and see when I can take money out of my retirement fund. I'll be 65 in July and will need to find out exactly when my money will be available.

a very good friend who taught HVAC and was in construction highly recommends goodman
they use off the shelf parts rather than special OEM only parts.
my goodman installed was half the price of the name brands and has been highly dependable
On 06/20/2014 06:44 AM, bob haller wrote:

Ok, I will definitely check them out.
Also thinking that considering that most of the summers are so mild that I don't even put in a window A/C ...to maybe just skip the central air. Even during the worst summers, the window unit does not get used more than ten times.
philo wrote:

Hi, Goodman is like Timex watch, known for value if installed properly. The key is good installation.
On 06/19/2014 03:46 PM, philo wrote:

I had a 60,000 BTU Goodman forced air furnace and 2-1/2 ton AC system installed in 2010. Both were the top high-efficiency models. IIRC, the check I wrote was for $8,600.
And in all fairness to the Goodman dealer, $250 of that was for the city mechanical inspection / cash-grab. The inspector (I use that term loosely) walked in, glanced at the furnace from 25' away, copied the model number from the bill of sale and left. $250 well spent.
On 06/21/2014 06:07 AM, James wrote:

When I got married for the first time it was required to get a doctor's exam for VD. He just asked me if I had anything. I said "no" and he wrote a statement saying I was OK. I was charged $25 I think.
Anyway quite a few here have recommended Goodman and I like the idea of it using standard parts. I do the repairs myself and though it's usually not a problem getting proprietary parts, they are typically very expensive.
James wrote:

Hmmm, For that money he did not even slapped an inspection sticker on the furnace, LOL? Ours did.

Just like the car inspectors. One gave me a sticker and scraper and told me to scrape off the old one and put on the new one while he filled out the paper work. I guess that he might have seen the car from inside his shop if he looked out his window
Another place gave my 5 year old car a very good going over and said it would not pass as it was missing the cytalytic converter. I told him I bought the car new and never had it worked on except for the oil changes and if it was missing anything , me and the dealer were going to have a talk. Another mechanic walked up and said it was under the hood and not under the car on that model..
On 6/21/2014 11:25 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Wow, the guy I used to go to did that himself after a very thourough inspection. He'd put his foot on the brake pedal while scraping off the old sticker.
When I lived in PA, the inspections varied. They shyster that tried to sell you ball joints and brakes that were not needed and maybe not even done, the other end that did nothing, and a few that were actually legit.
We had three cars in the family with questionable items. I found a shop that passed them all, but they all needed a headlight adjustment. It was only a couple of bucks so you paid it rather that have the suspension checked or other expensive items. Another shop would sell you water pump lubricant or some other gimmick that was much cheaper than actual repairs needed if given a proper inspection.

My "guestimate" for a simple replacement around here is about 8Gs