new furnace

greetings, i am planning on installing a new furnace with a/c soon and a co-worker told me that you can hang a furnace from the floor joyces(sp?), mounted sideways. (we have flooding issues)..is this true? are all brands of furnaces capable of being installed this way? thanks, cj

JOISTS is what they are.
There are air handling units that can be mounted off the floor. Talk to a good installer for recommendations of what may suit your needs.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

When you mount a air handler from the joists, you can get rid of vibration noise and if you use the right hardware it will even be better. Again talk to your HVAC company.
What I found by mounting it from the joists, you have a better drainage of the condensate water.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
on 8/26/2007 8:57 AM cj said the following:

What kind of issue with flooding? Leaks, ground water, or Katrina type flooding? My furnace is mounted on 3" concrete blocks, You can mount it on 8" concrete blocks if that will keep it dry. Anything higher and you had better move the furnace to a higher floor.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

on 8/26/2007 12:24 PM cj said the following:

Putting it up on blocks will keep it dry, unless you don't have a sump pump and you are in the midst of monsoon season.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY