new flush valve-water hammer

I replaced my flush valve and flapper with an LDR brand. Works great. There actually seems to be a greater flow into the bowl- not sure why. Anyway, the problem is a few seconds of water hammer after the toilet finishes filling and the valve shuts off. Is it because the valve shuts off too quickly-- is there an adjustment for that or is that the nature of a valve that doesn't use a ball, but rather an integral float? Would closing down the feed shutoff valve to lessen the pressure flow to the toilet help? It would lessen the pressure difference in the line between running and not running. It doesn't happen when the sink or bathtub are shutoff quickly. ???? Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@muderick.com

Reply to
Michael Muderick

Try your idea of throttling down the supply shutoff. It'd take a bit longer to refill the tank, but so what?

If that doesn't work you could always investigate the practicality of installing a tee and a spring loaded water hammer arrestor behind the shutoff valve.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I think that's the price you pay for the greater flow you mention.

Every situation is different. Why not try it?

I have mine so slow it takes 5 or 10 minutes. But I don't hear a thing except at the very end.

Reply to
mm

IF all else fails, drain your water pipes completely. Sometimes the little stubs a plumber uses to arrest water hammer gets water logged (the air in the stub dissolves in the water and disappears). THe quick fix is to drain the the system and refill so that the air in the stub is restored. The newer valves close faster than the older ones and cause more water hammer. Newer addon water hammer arrestors have a bladder in them to keep the air from mixing with the water.

Reply to
jmagerl