New flooring over old

I've got a room with vinyl flooring that has been there since about

1978. I went to remove it, and it looks like the floor was floated before the vinyl floor was installed, but I scraped up some of the float (just a patch about a square foot in size).

I'm thinking about putting in a wood floor, and am wondering whether I should remove the vinyl floor, or just lay down wood on top. Any thoughts on whether the vinyl should be removed first, and whether the floor needs to be refloated under wood?

Also, this room has direct exterior access. Is a wood floor (not Pergo) a good idea, or is it likely to show wear near the door? What about that bamboo flooring that seems to popular right now?

Thanks.

Reply to
BZ

I'd remove the vinyl to eliminate potential problems in the future.

As for wear near the door, put a mat or throw rug thee to help keep the rest of hte floors clean and minimize wear. I don't have any experience with bamboo.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

IMHO, any wood or wood-like flooring near a weather door is a mistake. It get wet at some point. Plan accordingly. I'd look real hard at having a patch of tile or slate there.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers