New floor for leaky basement

wtf ? if the most rain in 70 years produces 1/4" of water,don't do anything at all. anyone that puts ANYthing on their basement floor is a nut, unless they have massive drainage and a sealed newly-poured basement and a sump, etc, etc.

Reply to
roger61611

We've had a huge amount of rain this year in NH, the most in 70 years, and it's caused water in the basement. I don't think it's anything I can fix, though. The water is coming in one corner only, and it didn't get higher than 1/4". I'm pretty sure it's not a gutter problem because one wall of that corner has an enclosed deck over it and the ground there is bone dry. The other wall is the flat side of the house, so no gutters to add. And I'm on a hill, a good 15 ft above the road. I'm guessing it's ground water just passing through on it's way down the hill.

So, assuming this may happen again, and it's not going to get any deeper, what would be my best option for a new floor? We were thinking vinyl, since it's cheap enough, if I do it myself, that if it were to get ruined I'll just do it again.

Another thought was carpet tiles. I could just lift and dry out the wet ones should we get another 70-year flooding. But these can be expensive.

Then we noticed DRIcore tiles,

and wondered if this could be a solution. It's got a dimpled plastic-like membrane under OSB. The only concern I have with this is if water did make its way in, how would it get out? Could seepage eventually seep back down once the ground drains?

Any other ideas?

Reply to
Marc

I would not put carpet in any basement. The slightly higher relative humidity will promote mildew in the carpet. We put ceramic tile in our basement. We've had over flows and back ups since with no ill effect. TB

Reply to
tbasc