New energy-saving lights at Home Depot

Page 2 of 2

I have found that is not always true, but I have seen it true.
I have two places where I have both CF's and conventional lamps in the same fixtures. According to the packages they should show the same light output. I have the usual twisty CF's in a closet and in my two garage door openers. All the CF's start dimmer but after a few minutes they are equal, after about ten minutes they are brighter. Above my bathroom sinks I have eight lamps, four CF and For conventional. These also claim to be equal in brightness and all eight are designed with the large 3-4 inch globs and they all look the same. When turned on the CF's show the twisty shape that is inside the globe and are much dimmer than the standards, again after a few minutes they are equal in quantity of light and the CF's are brighter after a few more minutes. The mix of light color is appreciated by the woman of the house since the light when she is doing makeup is a mix of the light she will be seen in.
I have had older CF's and they never did get as bright and I would guess there are still many of them that don't get as bright as the standard equivalent lamp. The newer better lamps are also coming up to their full brightness faster than the older ones.
I have used the words older and newer based on when I bought the lamps. The new ones are not the same brands, nor likely designs, as the older ones so there may still be many lamps out there that don't do well.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Hey, are any of the new ones dimmable? I can now find dimmable CFL floodlights at stores but not "normal" bulbs.
Also, how quick are they to warm up? Some of the CFLs I have come on at about half light immediately and warm up over a few minutes to full brightness. Those are great! Some others are really dim when they first come on and are very slow to warm up. Still usable but annoying in some uses.
As for when to replace them I am replacing bulbs as they burn out and sometimes swapping bulbs (put in a CFL for the oft used kitchen light and use that old bulb from there to replace an infrequent use one that burnt out elsewhere). I really decided to dive into this when 3 of 5 standard bulbs in my kitchen and 3 of 6 halogen floodlights in my family room burned out in one week!
WDS wrote:

Moving an incandescent lamp to different fixtures will cause it to fail a hell of a lot faster then if it stays in the same fixture. In its original location the hot filament stretches and hangs downward and it likes to stay that way. Moving it to a different location means that the filament will now sag and hang in a different position and this causes premature failure.
Tony
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:03:51 -0400, Tony Miklos

This was really interesting to read! Thanks for posting it.