New Electrial outlets in

Wade:
WE> We are in the process of finishing our basement. The studding is up and noWE> I have to decide on how many outlets. I have decided to put in 8 outlets oWE> one side (separate new feed) and want to ensure that this should be fine. WE> Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable? The basement is not a highly useWE> area so I'm not overly concerned but am I safe?
Not only the number but the location of the outlets is important. Apparantly you are planning on somewhat using the basement otherwise you would not bother to finish it.
If you are planning on an entertainment center you may wish to cluster some outlets and/or install two duplex outlets together for the TV, VCR, DVD player, amplifier with surround sound.... Have four plug-ins right there! OTOH a single duplex may be all that is necessary if you will be plugging the devices into a surge protector.
If you will be having a mini bar with refrigerator and microwave these devices should be on their own separate circuits.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* If not broken, it's a miracle. If it's working, it's supernatural!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

I'd have to say that since the NEC doesn't even require a standard kitchen refrigerator to be on a seperate circuit, certianly instaling one for a small under-the-bar model would be way overkill.
Unless of course this is to store cold beer, in which case a dedicated 20a circuit with an uninterruptable power supply and backup autostart genset is quite appropriate.
snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

In the case of an entertainment center, or other cluster of low (relatively) wattage units. I like the outlet cover that replaces the faceplate with a 6 pack of outlets. About $5 at the HW store.
HH> >Wade: HH> > HH> >WE> We are in the process of finishing our basement. The studding is up a d HH> >no HH> > HH> >WE> I have to decide on how many outlets. I have decided to put in 8 outl ts HH> >o HH> > HH> >WE> one side (separate new feed) and want to ensure that this should be fi e. HH> >WE> Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable? The basement is not a highlHH> >If you will be having a mini bar with refrigerator and microwave these HH> HH> I'd have to say that since the NEC doesn't even require a standard kitchen HH> refrigerator to be on a seperate circuit, certianly instaling one for a sma l HH> under-the-bar model would be way overkill.
Probably so however I thought I recall reading in the microwave manual (poop! just admitted to reading manuals!!) it should be on a separate circuit.
HH> Unless of course this is to store cold beer, in which case a dedicated 20a HH> circuit with an uninterruptable power supply and backup autostart genset is HH> quite appropriate.
The NEC only dictates minimum standards. A home without the above is like living in a room with a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling! <g>
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* If at first you don't fricassee, fry, fry, fry a hen.