New Door Installation Question

Page 2 of 2
On 6/22/2012 12:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I called the co. that I bought my new door from. They also installed it. He said a caulk was applied underneath it and there is no chance of the sill warping. I told him I did not like the look of a gap underneath it, and the fact that water will get underneath it when I hose off my deck.
He was super nice, and will be out on Monday to put some concrete, or some type of product underneath it to seal it.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Much appreciated.
Kate wrote:

Sounds like they will figure it out and make it right.
When you first posted about this, I thought the main concern was about whether there was enough support under the threshold and whether it might bend down with people standing on the threshold. Now it seems like that may have been part of the concern and the other part has to do with a gap that is next to the threshold.
I think that the fact that the contractor/owner said that he will "...put some concrete, or some type of product underneath it to seal it" is a good sign. By that I mean that he will look at it first and decide what it needs to correct the problem rather than telling you (without seeing it) that he will put in concrete. Depending on what is there and exactly what needs to be done, either something rigid like concrete will work or some flexible filler material will work.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I agree, it does seem strange. I didn't put that door in -- a contractor did that one. And, they did some goofy things with this door (the trim was on backwards), and with some interior door slabs that the did (they cut the hollow door slabs to size, but didn't replace the filler piece so the doors were open/hollow where they made the cuts on the top or bottom).
So, maybe when they did the basement entry door, they intentionally or inadvertently took off the threshold from the frame during the installation and then just slid it into place when done.
Of course, I stopped using those contractors and I ended up resolving the other interior door problems on my own.

butchered the frame and threshold.
On 6/22/2012 8:11 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have concrete underneath the door. Behind that concrete is my crawl space.