New Door Installation Question

I called the co. that I bought my new door from. They also installed it. He said a caulk was applied underneath it and there is no chance of the sill warping. I told him I did not like the look of a gap underneath it, and the fact that water will get underneath it when I hose off my deck.

He was super nice, and will be out on Monday to put some concrete, or some type of product underneath it to seal it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Much appreciated.

Reply to
Kate

What happened is I used to have a redwood deck. I had it removed and concrete was poured. The old door perfectly against the concrete. I can see why there is now a gap .

I did call the co. today, and the owner was great. He will be out Monday to fill the gap in. He said it would probably be a concrete mix, but that he needed to look at it first. His installer put it in.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

I am curious too. I now find myself checking out other's thresholds. LOL This is what is so great about these newsgroups. We all learn from them.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Kate

In so many cases the"installer crew" is a subcontractor, not an employee of the window/door company. My advice is to always ask if the installers are employees, or better yet, partners in the business.

The one company I worked for used one employee/partner as one crew cheif, and several subcontractor crews. The employee/partner was out of the picture most of the time, but did MUCH better work when he was there. The second company, all crew cheifs were partners, and all installers were employees - and the work done by those guys was absolutely incredible. Virtually NO complaints, call-backs, or do-overs.

Reply to
clare

Sounds like they will figure it out and make it right.

When you first posted about this, I thought the main concern was about whether there was enough support under the threshold and whether it might bend down with people standing on the threshold. Now it seems like that may have been part of the concern and the other part has to do with a gap that is next to the threshold.

I think that the fact that the contractor/owner said that he will "...put some concrete, or some type of product underneath it to seal it" is a good sign. By that I mean that he will look at it first and decide what it needs to correct the problem rather than telling you (without seeing it) that he will put in concrete. Depending on what is there and exactly what needs to be done, either something rigid like concrete will work or some flexible filler material will work.

Reply to
TomR