New Dishwasher

Page 1 of 2

Our 22 year old dishwasher is finally worn out, so we're going to replace it. When I removed it, I found several things that I didn't like. The copper tubing for the water inlet is kinked. That makes me nervous. The power is coming through a hole in the floor that is big enough for a mouse to get through. That's an easy fix.
The dishwasher was installed incorrectly. The idiots who installed it put wood shims under each roller and under the front feet. According to the manual, the wheels should have been set on 4 or 5 for the cabinet height. They were set on 2. The front feet had plenty of room to unscrew.
When I made my daily trip to Lowes, the salesman suggested that I get one of the steel clad dishwasher hoses to replace the copper tubing all together. (My first thoughts were to replace the copper with Pex, but it's not worth the trouble, since I don't have the experience or the tools to use it.) Any thoughts to the contrary?
My wife wants a plain and simple under-the-counter stainless dish washer. Is one brand particularly better than another? We're not interested in ones like they put in million dollar houses.
On 01/16/10 10:59 pm, mcp6453 wrote:

I used a Watts "FloodSafe" hose. If the water flows excessively fast (as it would if there were a leak), a valve at the supply end closes and shuts off the flow.

We have been satisfied with our Whirlpool-built Kenmore. We got an intermediate-level model then bought as discounted spare parts (pcappliancerepair.com) the more useful items that would have been included (along with items that we considered not worth the money) in the much-more-expensive top-of-the-line model.
Perce
On 01/16/10 11:09 pm, I wrote:
<snip>

I forgot to mention that we have deliberately avoided the stainless steel look -- the "new Avocado." But we did insist on one with a stainless steel interior.
Perce
mcp6453 wrote:

Consumer Reports recommends: Kenmore 1374[2 $720 Bosch SHE33M0[2]UC $600 Whirlpool Gold GU2300XTV[Q] $550 Kenmore 1389[2] $500 Whirlpool DU1055XTV[Q] $400
The first two have something called a stainless steel look option. The last three don't.

I just replaced my dishwasher and went through your situation. My research showed that there were no clear winners as the "best" dishwasher, at least as far as the end users were concerned. It seemed an equal number of people liked as hated most machines. Most new machines are built totally different from the older ones. They call it "tall tub", which would indicate more room inside, however our measurements show a shallower tub from front to back, and clearly less room inside. On older machines there was room under the machine to work the plumbing and electrical. The newer machines have essentially a tunnel that the wiring and plumbing pass through, necessitating the electrical cable to be in one specific spot, in line with the junction box, and pretty much requiring the water line to be flexible hose. We replaced a ten year old Maytag $350 plain vanilla machine that worked poor to fair with a $1250 Bosch that works fair
RBM wrote:

It has been a few years since we bought a new one but my findings were similar to yours. Most every DW will get the dishes clean. What you are buying for more money is features and style.
The Whirlpool family is supposed to be a tad more reliable. The Bosch is well liked for noise level, but my local dealer says it is more prone to needing service calls. He still sells them, but no longer has them on the floor. Maytag touted three racks instead of two. I found the bottom rack too low and useless so we did not buy that brand.
My advice is to set a budget and buy the one your wife likes the best for whatever her reason is. We got a Kitchen Aid that she things is pretty. Works well.
You may get a better deal and better value from the local dealer as opposed to the big box store, More reliable delivery, good price, good install.

The SS clad fex hose are fine, easy to use and seem to last. The one on our DW is about 15 years old.
If I were replacing the DW after all these years I would use a new hose and not reuse the old one.
With appliances, I find the best bang for my buck at about the mid-point of any product line. I am completely out of touch with prices right now. When we bought our current unit Whirlpool ranged from a low of about 200 to a high of about 750. We bought the multi-cycle model for about 450 then and it has served us very well. I suspect the mid-point of any brand would be good.
I prefer the Whirlpool brand because of the silverware basket in the door as we do not run ours after every meal.
I will say that the new Bosch a family member bought is about the quietest machine I have ever heard running.
Colbyt

I agree, the Bosch I have is the quietest machine I've come across. Mine has a small red light that beams onto the floor, so you know it's running.

My Bosch has a LED display showing a status icon and time remaining, but I bought that model due to the low 47 dB rating. A DW rated at 42 dB would be sweet, but carries a high cost.
Phisherman wrote:

The "cheap" Kitchen Aid is 54 dBA while the more expensive is 41dBA. Price difference is about $500 I'm not sure what the rating is on our 4 year old model, but for us, it is quiet, but not a big deal. Most of the time I turn it on either late at night or early in the morning and no one is near the machine when it runs.
mcp6453 wrote:

We have a Kenmore portable dishwasher that we bought in 1996. Just a few days ago I drilled two 1" holes in the kitchen floor under where the washer normally sits when it's not in use.
I bought one of those steel-braided hoses and with a little extra plumbing in the basement I connected the washer up to the hot-water supply and a drain line.
The steel hose I bought was technically for a clothes washer. It has 1" garden-hose ends on it. I did this because the dish washer has that same exact connector type on it inside the machine, and I didn't want to mess with buying $20 worth of brass connector parts that I would have been needed if I bought the "dish-washer" steel hose.
The type of steel hose I bought is labelled as a "flood-proof" type. It has some sort of regulating valve built into it that I guess can sense a large water flow (which might be caused if the plastic water inlet body in the washer breaks) and so it shuts down the water flow automatically.
The washer still runs great, and looks practically brand new inside - no stains, rust, etc.

Everytime I have to get in to replace or fix something I find something the privious owner did that makes me wonder WTF?
I recently replaced our acient Kitchen Aid with a GE that doesn't get the dishes clean and the wheels on the dish holders are already falling off.
From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make restaurant dishwashers) but they still make decent dishwashers. If those are too expensive I'd look at what the big box stores have but check the hardware and make sue it looks sturdy. Had I looked at the cheapo casters GE uses I'd of passed on the model I bought.
Master Betty wrote:

Yes, they are now a part of Whirlpool

Why? Do you think they have better product or prices? Most small dealers now belong to buying co-ops and can sell at the same prices. They often offer much better service too.

Yeah.. I just think they usually have better prices but that could be poopee talk
Sorry about the spelling. Don't know what got into me. Actually that's how bad I spell w/o the checker.

I went to Lowe's to see their models and prices. They probably had over 20 models on display. Truth is, most looked pretty much the same, mechanically. The Bosch that I ended up buying, I bought online for a total of $250 less than Lowe's was selling it for

I recently shopped for a pool heater and the dealers here can't touch the online prices. I found one local though. A $1300 heater used (for a few days) for $500. Lady bought the wrong kind for her pool.

About five or six years ago, I was shopping for a pool heater. I was checking stores and online. The online prices were so much less than the local stores, plus with no tax, the decision was a no brainer. They did want an extra $50 if I needed a lift-gate truck. I told them I have a loader, just let me know when it's coming. Ultimately they delivered it, unannounced, with a lift-gate truck, no additional charge, and it came from a pool supply company about 25 miles away, despite the online store being from another state.

One place wanted $125 another $250 for shipping. Tale gate service. No tax. The locals can't compete even with the shipping when you throw in the 8.25 tax.
this is what i got used w/30 day warranty no shipping....: It needs a fork lift. We'll have to use a dolly.
http://www.raypak.com/jumpPool.cfm?target=Raypak_Digital.htm

Wow, that's nice. That's just what I need... That and about $30K worth of pool renovation. I'm getting a Bobcat skid steer, a pile of sand, and a jack hammer instead.

That thing will heat my pool in no time. You should fix your pool if you can. You'll get the money back if you sell.
Mines about 28 years old, 10,000 gal. We have a small backyard. I fixed some of the mosaic and the spa needs new plaster. Of course my wife says it needs to be re-plaster and retiled.
There's a guy (website) that did it himself with his family. Tough job that needs skill.