New dishawasher, need water softener salt for it

Got a new Danby dishwasher, it has a container for water softener salt. I am having trouble finding it and even finding information on it. Any help would be appreiciated. I suspect the salt for a dishwasher is in smaller granualtion than a regular water softener.

Reply to
Marty

Never heard of that. You sure it isn't suppose to be for a rinse agent like jet-dry or something?

Reply to
mwlogs

I've never seen special salt for a dishwasher. Actually, I've never seen a dishwasher with a salt compartment or softener.

Salt for softeners is available at any hardware store, Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. I have no reason to think that a DW would use a smaller pellet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, I remember there was a thing called water softening agent in a box. Colgan or something like that was the name of product. You add the powder to washer with detergent when using hard water. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Use some washing soda.

Reply to
AC/DCdude17

"Marty" wrote in news:kjmIc.661$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

You can check out the product manual here:

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a reference to a specific salt product, other than it being noted that one should use a salt designed for dishwashers. You may have to contact the company directly to find a source. I believe this feature is more commonly found in dishwashers sold in Europe.

Their contact information is located here:

I had occasion to use a Danby Dishwasher at a vacation home and was quite impressed. I only wish they made a full size 24" built-in. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

The water is very hard where I live and I'm sure I would benefit from the Integerated water softner system.

Reply to
Wayne

"Calgon "

Reply to
Martin

Try using 'Glass Magic' additive for dishwashers. They don't recommend consistent usage but it counteracts and cleans the dishwasher of hard water buildup. I bought some of this to clean lime scale off my glasses and it did the trick and cleaned the dishwasher nicely.

You can get Glass Magic from Walmart.

Reply to
jdsal

Look for Somat dishwashing salt; some Miele dishwashers have built-in water softeners and this is the salt they recommend. You can buy it over the web, but dealers who sell Miele dishwashers usually carry Somat products as well.

Reply to
Dave Worden

Wife asked NYC Miele dealer / repair center and they said it's not needed in NYC. Apparently "hardness" of one's local water determines need. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker