New Deck: Clean Before Seal?

Is it necessary to apply deck wash before sealing a new deck (new wood) with, say, Thompson's Plus?
The deck is about six months old. It is under a roof, so technically it's the floor of a porch.
This is volunteer work. I appreciate any assistance. I have googled and can't nail the answer down.
Thompsons is bottom rated read Consumer Reports, is the deck dirty.
On Tue, 23 May 2006 02:30:59 GMT, "Elle"

Only if it's dirty. As Mark said, Thompson's is really junk. You'd be much better off with either Olympic or Sikkens.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Forget about the Thompson's seal stuff, it's very poor in protection. Cabot's Decking stain is much better. For any finish make sure the wood is clean and dry.
Thank you for the input, m Ransley, L.M., and Phisherman. I'll get the Consumer Reports update on deck sealing and follow your suggestions.
Elle wrote:

Check to see that you aren't supposed to wait a year before applying whatever product you choose.
JP