new construction home, but installing wood laminate soon after

We are building a new home but unfortunately they won't install the wood laminate flooring that we would like (in entry, formal dining, den, and kitchen, all connected). They will install vinyl flooring and then after we close in we can have it put in. We have some concerns though and need some advice:
1) We would much prefer not having to do the quarter round molding because our baseboards are so elegant and so new. Is there any way to do this easily without the quarter round and without too much trouble with the baseboard.
2) We'd prefer to not have to pull up the vinyl, is that okay to put the wood laminate right on top?
Thanks!!
You can put laminate on vinyl but the vinyl is probably only attached at the edges so I would remove it. Leaving it is just something else to go wrong.
Laminate pretty much requires the quarter round molding. It slips into it and give it expansion room. Download installation instructions for the laminate you are considering so you know what is going on.

If the baseboards are elegant, why are you putting laminate down? Put wood or engineered wood. It does not matter how elegant the baseboard is if you use plastic floors.

Maybe, but ask the manufacturer. You will still need to either add the quarter round or take off the baseboard and put them back after the floor goes in. It is important to leave a gap at the edges for expansion.

3 small kids too. Plus it's on a concrete slab, and from what I've read it's a pain, costly, and risky to put wood on a concrete slab (moisture, etc).
My other choice is tile, we just thought a really nice textured wood laminate (Wilsonart, handscraped) would look great in there.

Wilsonaart is much better than most laminates. They also have some nice tiles for foyers and such. On a slab you do need a moisture barrier. I'd take up the vinyl and do it right.

My problem with Wilsonart is that once you click it together that is it. I prefer Mannington and Shaw.
If the vinyl is not laid yet demand that they let allow yoy to install it with your own sub if their sub won't do it. Tell them they do not even have to give you the allowance for the vinyl floor, which I am sure is pennies. This is asinine on their part especially if the house is not completed yet. Or talk to their sub and ask him if you can pay him to upgrade the floor. He will surely make more money from you than he will the GC.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)

inblosam wrote:

Sure. Take off the baseboard, lay the laminate, re-install the baseboards.

Can't see why not. The vinyl will even act as a vapor barrier.