new commode bowl rocks on even floor

The bottom is not straight across. Do I have a defective commode? Thank you. John

Possible but highly unlikely. For the name brands, at least, quality control has gotten pretty damn good after 100+ years. Much more likely that the wax ring moved around while you were installing, or the flange ring on the floor is slightly bent, or something got kicked under the edge before snugging the bolts down. Spend the five bucks for a fresh wax ring, and take it out and put it back in again, before you go trying to return the w.c. While you have it off again, put a level and a straightedge on the flange and the floor, to see if they are straight and level with each other, side-to-side, and front-to-back. They do also sell shim kits for when things don't quite match up, usually due to a floor that got wet at some point, and is now a little off. (note that they can look fine to naked eye, and not feel mushy, and still have a crown.)
aem sends...
aem wrote:

Thanks. Good advice, but I haven't tried to set it yet. I pulled this new Eljin bowl out of the box, set it on the floor and it rocked from front to back. After flipping it upside down, a straightedge showed me the part of the bowl that touches the floor is on two different planes. From what you have said, I have to believe the bowl is miscast. Thanks again.
John

Shims are also available to level he bowl.
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:55:11 GMT, "ameijers"