new commode

Page 2 of 2
On May 17, 4:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

A new toilet cost a buck or a buck and a half, and you've put up with this for how long...?

If you have that much of a freezing problem, a little more water will freeze up in the waste line every time something flows through it. Even with a six gallon flush you'd end up getting a frozen blockage. Drain lines should be run below the frost line whenever possible. It sounds like you need a redesign.

Poop in the evening. ;)
"trailer" wrote

Perhaps the earlier ones were. I dont know. The new ones (even cheaper models) work just fine and are quiet.
Here's an aspect the others didnt mention. The footprint may be different so you may end up with a tile/flooring issue. Generally the newer ones are smaller footprint than the older larger models.

I replaced my 70's era commodes a few years ago with American Standard LF ones. They barely flushed but worked for a couple of years. Then it was a constant battle & several flushes to get all the crap out of the bowl. I replaced them with Toto units and everything shoots out of the bowl in one flush. Doesn't seem to matter how much crap or paper is in the bowl, it all shoots out in one flush. I even saw an ad showing them flushing kids toys down one.
Toto had a patent on their toilets and no one could duplicate them. The prices were high but well worth it. The patent ran out late last year and several companies are now making their toilets to Toto specs at a cheaper price. Stay away from the big box stores and go to your local plumbing supply for info on which models are similar to Toto.
Red

Danger, Will Robinson! Don't show that video to a kid! It'll give them ideas.

I hadn't heard that about the patents. I found a guy on eBay that sold Toto toilets - he also had a web site, and the prices I got through him were quite reasonable.
-snip-

Toys!? How about 36 golf balls?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJeNXiuOs-8

[a danze toilet, BTW] Jim
trailer wrote:

If you really want to save water, consider the following refrain:
In days of old, When knights were bold, Before toilets were invented, They dumped their load, Beside the road, And went their way contented.

Kohler Wellworth available at Lowes works well. We have put 3 in this house built in 2004 and had 3 in our previous home. We got the "Comfort height" models, 1.5" taller at the seat...easier on the old knees

American Standard has a Cadet line with 4" trap I have one it works very well & they don't plug up.
on 5/17/2009 1:05 PM (ET) trailer wrote the following:

I just saw an ad for a new toilet that has a two flush feature. A small flush for #1 and large flush for #2. I don't remember how that worked, or the brand name since my 24 year old American Standards are still working and I wasn't in the market. Here's a novel way to get rid of your old toilets (with pics). http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t 005
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Own your own for $333 from Samsclub- http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item27341&pid=_Froogle&ci_src 110944&ci_sku472 [or $679 for SS]
Jim

Thanks for the link, and I hope someone can use it. However, for a household with just 1 male, it doesn't seem cost-efficient, except for the novelty factor.
--
Best regards
Han

Cost efficient? If a home was about cost efficiency we'd all be living in trailers. I'm guessing that could be just the little touch to sell a mcmansion in a slow market.
Look how much effort you'd save in your lifetime if you never had to flush pee. A few calories saved a day. . . . less oxygen depleted from the atmosphere. . . . oh, and then there's that water saving thing.
Jim