new ceiling insulation around canister lights ?

In a room remodel...I have new IC rated canister lights and I am replacing the old insulation with new Kraft batts. Should i just install the batts above the canister tops...or cut the batts around the canisters so it isn't 'compressed' somewhat against the ceiling ?

Thanks, TR

Reply to
tr

If you have enough room above the frames, you can run insulation there, I wouldn't compress it though

Reply to
RBM

do not insulate around an IC or non IC remodeling light if there is a vapor retarder on the insulation always leave the insulation a few inches away from the heat source

Reply to
just me again

Proper technique would be to cut the batts, and then insulate around the IC cans with additional material. Ideally, removing the vapor barrior, but since its up against metal it won't really matter.

Lots of labor and rarely done by pros...

Richard Reid, LC

tr wrote:

Reply to
RickR