New ceiling fan -- worked about 10 seconds then stopped, help!

Hi, I have just installed a new ceiling fan in my living room. (Hampton Bary Berlini) I have the power on, and using the remote I was able to start the fan spinning on LO, I then put it to MED and it did not speed up, but rather coasted slowly to a stop. Now I cannot get it to operate at any speed.

When it was spinning there was no indication there was any difficulty with turning the blades (no wierd noises). I can still spin them freely by hand.

The remote is still causing the fan to click, so I'm fairly confident it is getting my signals...it does not seem to be working however.

My question is, can anyone think of something foolish I have overlooked in my install that would cause this problem? Or does it just sound like a faulty fan I need to exchange.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Steven

The only thing I would suggest, is to be sure any internal splices are tight. Not the power that you connected, since you're getting a clicking sound, that would indicate the receiver is powered and receiving a signal, but any internal connections that you have access to, that would go from the receiver to the fan motor

Reply to
RBM

There's not much that can go wrong. Either you have line voltage supplied or you don't (assuming you didn't do anything silly like have a dimmer in the circuit).

You probably have a dud unit.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

check wiring again. may have come loose.

Reply to
dkarnes

If the speed switch broke, it could have broke in such a way that it effected the fan.

Do the lights work?

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Reply to
Steven

Nothing lasts forever. You should have purchased the extended warranty which covers the fan for up to 5 hours.

Reply to
tmurf.1

The fan speed pull chain switch normally needs to be set on high in order for the fan to work correctly with the remote control. Check your instructions. The first pull from the off position is usually high speed, then medium, then low, and finally off.

Reply to
John Grabowski

ROFL!

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

Could be a dud. I replaced a failed ceiling fan one time and the new one would not work either. Not believing it could be dead right out of the box I was checking voltage at the mount, switch everywhere. My BIL (brother in law) checked all the same things I did and we both determined the new fan had to be bad. As a final test I wired a jumper cord to it so I could just plug it in the wall and sure enough it was bad. Back to the store, return for another and all is well now.

--Ben

Reply to
Ben Phlat