New Carpet Tack Strips Hurt

I just had new carpet installed by a professional. The tack strips where the tile meets the carpet are either too tall or too sharp. Did they do something wrong? I can actually draw blood when I press my hand on the transition areas. This is all over the house. Hallway, bathrooms, front door landing.
The salesperson said they would come and hammer down the sharp tacks, but that this may effect the integrity of the tack strip and the carpet may unstretch in time.
Thanks in advance, Hillary

Same here too when I purchased my new house but I learn to avoid stepping on those areas. This shouldn't happen if the carpet is dense and thick. They could have used an aluminum transitional piece ( look like an angle iron) that has a build-in tack strip and the top part folds down into the carpet like a clam shell covering both the carpet and tack strip.
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:02:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (hillbie) wrote:

take a small hammer and "knock down" the ones in the immediate areas where people walk by the transitions from tile to carpet ... serious hammering "could" loosen the tack strip..
message :I just had new carpet installed by a professional. The tack strips : where the tile meets the carpet are either too tall or too sharp. : Did they do something wrong? I can actually draw blood when I press : my hand on the transition areas. This is all over the house. : Hallway, bathrooms, front door landing. : : The salesperson said they would come and hammer down the sharp tacks, : but that this may effect the integrity of the tack strip and the : carpet may unstretch in time. : : Thanks in advance, : Hillary : You'll have to describe it a little better than that. Too vague.

where the tile meets the carpet are either too tall or too sharp. Did they do something wrong? I can actually draw blood when I press my hand on the transition areas. This is all over the house. Hallway, bathrooms, front door landing. <<<<<<
They didn't do anything wrong. Those tacks on the tack strips are SHARP!.
I experienced the some problem with new capet a number of years ago. The problem occured where the carpet met up with hardwood floor or tiled area.
Rather than have the installer come back & pound down all the tacks. I chose to fix the problem myself.
I assumed that most people step in the middle of the door walls and avoid the areas closer to the walls. I felt around for the tacks & I placed a pin punch on the tip of the tack and tapped (pounded lightly) on it unitl it was no longer a cut hazard. I left the tacks near the walls alone to maintain carpet stretch.
I repeated the process until all the offending tacks were taken care of. In 15+ years no one has been cut & the carpet stayed tight.
cheers Bob
Pop in his usual stupor wrote:

":
The transition areas are from carpet to tile. I don't care about the areas against the walls. When someone steps on the tack strip that transitions the carpet to the tile, which is in several areas of the house. It can be felt and it hurts and can actually draw blood.
Can they hammer down the tack strip and use the nail gun they used to install the stairs to secure the carpet to the strip?
"hillbie" wrote

Actually, they probably won't hammer them down, they most likely will push the tacks further over with the handle of the hammer.
You can do this, don't use the head of the hammer, just run the handle along the tacks as you use force, you will hear a _popping/snapping_ sound.
I'd prefer THEY risk popping the nails loose or out of the strip, they have probably 'plowed that row before' and are familiar with proper technique.

"nospambob" wrote

That is the proper technique.

will push

handle along

sound.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Will pushing the tacks over lessen the integrity of the tacks? When I hear the popping is that OK? What's actually happening?
Thanks, Hillary
"hillbie" wrote

They are meant to be pushed over, only if you tried to bend them the opposite way, would they break. I'm not quite sure _popping_ is what you will actually hear, I used the term because you will hear a noise. Maybe crunching?
Just try it on an area along a wall, if you're worried about something out in the open area.
hillbie wrote:

"Hammer down the sharp tacks?"
If that's the solution they propose, get an addendum to your contract stating the "fix" will be good for the life of the carpet.
Probably your fault for not specifying "bloodless" in your original specifications.