New Carpet Tack Strips Hurt

where the tile meets the carpet are either too tall or too sharp. Did they do something wrong? I can actually draw blood when I press my hand on the transition areas. This is all over the house. Hallway, bathrooms, front door landing.

Reply to
BobK207

Same here too when I purchased my new house but I learn to avoid stepping on those areas. This shouldn't happen if the carpet is dense and thick. They could have used an aluminum transitional piece ( look like an angle iron) that has a build-in tack strip and the top part folds down into the carpet like a clam shell covering both the carpet and tack strip.

Reply to
Fred

take a small hammer and "knock down" the ones in the immediate areas where people walk by the transitions from tile to carpet ... serious hammering "could" loosen the tack strip..

meAT

"hillbie" wrote in message news:4zlSe.29455$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.news.easynews.com... :I just had new carpet installed by a professional. The tack strips : where the tile meets the carpet are either too tall or too sharp. : Did they do something wrong? I can actually draw blood when I press : my hand on the transition areas. This is all over the house. : Hallway, bathrooms, front door landing. : : The salesperson said they would come and hammer down the sharp tacks, : but that this may effect the integrity of the tack strip and the : carpet may unstretch in time. : : Thanks in advance, : Hillary : You'll have to describe it a little better than that. Too vague.

Reply to
Pop

I just had new carpet installed by a professional. The tack strips where the tile meets the carpet are either too tall or too sharp. Did they do something wrong? I can actually draw blood when I press my hand on the transition areas. This is all over the house. Hallway, bathrooms, front door landing.

The salesperson said they would come and hammer down the sharp tacks, but that this may effect the integrity of the tack strip and the carpet may unstretch in time.

Thanks in advance, Hillary

Reply to
hillbie

":

The transition areas are from carpet to tile. I don't care about the areas against the walls. When someone steps on the tack strip that transitions the carpet to the tile, which is in several areas of the house. It can be felt and it hurts and can actually draw blood.

Can they hammer down the tack strip and use the nail gun they used to install the stairs to secure the carpet to the strip?

Reply to
hillbie

"hillbie" wrote

Actually, they probably won't hammer them down, they most likely will push the tacks further over with the handle of the hammer.

You can do this, don't use the head of the hammer, just run the handle along the tacks as you use force, you will hear a _popping/snapping_ sound.

Reply to
Ray Crim

sound.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Will pushing the tacks over lessen the integrity of the tacks? When I hear the popping is that OK? What's actually happening?

Thanks, Hillary

Reply to
hillbie

Reply to
nospambob

G Henslee

"Hammer down the sharp tacks?"

If that's the solution they propose, get an addendum to your contract stating the "fix" will be good for the life of the carpet.

Probably your fault for not specifying "bloodless" in your original specifications.

Reply to
HeyBub

"hillbie" wrote

They are meant to be pushed over, only if you tried to bend them the opposite way, would they break. I'm not quite sure _popping_ is what you will actually hear, I used the term because you will hear a noise. Maybe crunching?

Just try it on an area along a wall, if you're worried about something out in the open area.

Reply to
Ray Crim

"nospambob" wrote

That is the proper technique.