new carpet odor

After about 20 minutes in the room where we've had our new carpet installed about one month ago, my eyes burn and my throat gets a "little acidy". I start feeling cruddy. I've move my office down there in the basement and my subliminal reaction is to get the heck out of the room.

We recently finished our basement about six weeks ago. Very dry with a dehumidifier running and humidity levels very low and not pets or food present. We put in a new synthetic Burbur carpet from Home Depot, about four weeks ago and I've been working there everyday as my office. My problem is the smell. It's definately a synthetic smell below the surface. You could desribe it as "thick" or "gamey", like if you wore the same wool sweater for a month. It's not BO and it's hard to describe as a chemical smell, but it's not a "natural" smell. We've kept our windows open for many days and the smell doesn't go away.

Does anybody have any ideas? What would help with the smell? Shampooing the rug, ripping it out ,trying a new type of carpet. I've read the controversy about new carpets, but I am not hyper sensitive to chemicals, I just don't like the smell.

Home Depot seems to have a department that is very familiar with this type of complaint. They are sending someone over here. How do I deal with Home Depot? Will they come and clean the carpet? Give me a different carpet? What type of tests will they do? How should I pursue this?

Thanks so much for any constructive comments.

Reply to
GRAPE

More than likely they will say this is normal and will dissipate in a few more weeks. It may actually be a defect though. Did you use adhesive to stick it to the floor or is it streached on carpet tack?

Best advice is to ventilate the basement as much as possible. Washing may help, the expert should have some advice. I suspect he will just sniff and go on experience, don't expect any gear or actual tests.

Reply to
PipeDown

Bake the house, run the heat way up for a day or longer to outgas as much of the chwemicals as you can and then vent it thoroughly.

Reply to
bamboo

Have the HD guy lend you one of their "big mother" fans for a week or so, in the name of "...we can help".

Reply to
Craven Morehead