New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

Page 2 of 4

And THAT was an interesting one because it took a couple seasons to happen so there was some warning about it taking place. The corn you want to grow for tortillas is very different than the corn you want to grow for ethanol, and they are both very different than the sweet corn people think of when they think of corn. So farmers had to decide what to plant and then had a good lag time before they harvested it.

For the most part I don't think NAFTA has been a bad thing for either the US or Mexico, but there certainly was some ugly adjustment. --scott

First of all, anybody who gives you actual numbers is basing them on insufficient information. The guys on the right point to the guys on the left as having made-up numbers. The guys on the left point to the guys on the right as having made-up numbers. They are both right. Undocumented immigrants are just that, undocumented, and all of the numbers you see are based on basic statistics.
Secondly, in addition to the normal flow of illegal immigrants and the recent new flow of refugees, we also have a lot of seasonal workers that come across the border to work the harvest and then go back to Mexico before the winter. These people aren't immigrants, and the number and direction depends on what time of year you try to measure it. So if you look in the late fall you will always see "migration towards Mexico" even though the people moving are not doing so for immigration purposes.
But... if you go down to the southern border of Mexico, you can see a huge number of people trying to get into Mexico from Honduras and Guatemala, Nicaragua and El Salvador, because the situations there are even worse than they are in Mexico. Many of those people are on their way into the US, but some of them stay in Mexico.

There is a whole lot of that going on right now, and it's something you never saw a decade ago. Until there is some degree of stability in central america and people are able to live their lives with some degree of security rather than live under the thumb of drug lords, this is going to get worse rather than better. --scott

On 1/2/2016 6:52 AM, AMuzi wrote:

The alternative to not issuing drivers licenses is to have them drive without licenses, or insurance.
State governments don't have the power to deport anyone. The federal government doesn't want to act for several reasons. First, illegals pay far more more in federal taxes than they receive in federal benefits. Second, the companies that employ illegals in large numbers, corporate agriculture, meat packing, hotel chains, etc. would be in big trouble if the supply of low-cost exploitable labor dried up.
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 14:42:55 -0000 (UTC), Mark Bannon

Do they go ahead and register to vote then too?

01520160AB60

FWIW, the Fed motor-voter law was signed in 1993. Anyone can register, but supposedly non-citizens are rejected by the Reg of Voters. http://www.justice.gov/crt/about-national-voter-registration-act
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:11:43 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

It is not working. Our TV station had no problem finding plenty of aliens who were registered to vote. Nobody in the government seems to think that is a big enough problem to follow up on it..
It is the classic problem with investigating voter fraud. The losers have little power to actually do much investigating because they are shut out of the government and the winner has no interest in questioning the validity of their victory.

+100 gov't inaction
--
Tekkie

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id 1520160AB60
A driving test has always been required for first time applicants. Proof of residency & auto insurance has also been mandatory for many years. I thought that first time applicants had to show a birth certificate or passport, but I could be wrong about that.
is it legal to eat Mexican tortillas, while navigating your Hoverboad, in the far right [freeway] lane, after having taken Lipitor?
just asking
marc

Yes, on the conditions that you refrrain from taking sleeping pills, and you must file a flight plan with the FAA. And wear blinking nose lights.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Great, typical chickenshit gvt/representative BS so that when they allow the lobbyists to get their money it will be years later and that way the chickeshit legislators who passed this won't get the blame when it happens.
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 14:31:13 -0000 (UTC), Mark Bannon

So does this make the use of hearing aids illegal while driving or bicycling or are they an exemption.
It's all typical stupid big brother gvt assholery.
On 1/2/2016 7:24 PM, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:

The government may be stupid, but some cyclists are even stupider. Riding a bike with loud music in your earbuds is dangerous, but people do it. Just as dumb, I see people in the dark walking along the roadside and other riding bikes in the dark with no reflectors or lights.

Most of them. It's so that when I see one with lights, especially a flashing red light, I'm really impressed.
And the deer too don't do much to keep me from hitting them.
On 01/03/2016 03:38 AM, Micky wrote:

In town, a bicyclist without lights at night will get stopped by the cops. The first time they get a warning and a free set of lights. The next time, a ticket.
There was a recent case where a bicyclist was stopped. Apparently the bicyclist was a tweaker and thought a methedrine powered bike could outrun the cops. When finally apprehended there was a little more than a no-light warning involved.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=2 01520160SB491

earplugs

would

I'd vote for that one. Similar law passed for drivers. It's dangerous for anyone in traffic to have both ears blocked.
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:24:54 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

What should be done about deaf people?
Per >>>Ashton Crusher:

I remember reading an interview about a deaf person who had died.
The interviewer's question: "How did he die?".
The interviewee's answer: "The same way most deaf people die: hit by a car.".
--
Pete Cresswell

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=2 01520160SB491

earplugs

on,

would

dangerous for anyone in traffic to have both ears blocked.

Good question. Also, if a funeral is at night, do you drive with your lights off?
On 1/6/2016 4:31 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Perhaps if the driver, or the deceased is blind?
--
.
Christopher A. Young