New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

Page 1 of 4
AB 208, Bigelow. Vehicles: highway: lane use.
Existing law (2015) requires, on a 2-lane highway where passing is unsafe due to specified reasons, *a slow-moving vehicle* behind which 5 or more vehicles are formed in a line to turn off the roadway at the nearest place designed as a turnout or wherever sufficient area of a safe turnout exists in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed.
This bill (2016) requires, on a 2-lane highway where passing is unsafe due to specified reasons, *any vehicle* proceeding upon the highway at a speed less than the *normal speed of traffic* moving in the same direction at that time, behind which 5 or more vehicles are formed in line, to turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists.
"slow moving" vs "any vehicle at less than normal speed" https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id 1520160AB208
This relates to anyone pulled over where the cellphone is confiscated.
This year, the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act goes into effect. CalECPA requires police to get a warrant before searching your electronic devices. It will be up to a judge to decide if police have probable cause to access your devices, location information and search history.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id 1520160SB178
Hoverboard legislation starts January 1st, 2016.
AB 604 defines a hoverboard as an "electrically motorized board" which means riders must be 16 or older and wear a helmet while riding.
The law also restricts use to specially designated bikeways or highways, which means hoverboards are no longer legal in public places.
Full text: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id 1520160AB604
California law enforcement is expanding the already much abused Amber Alert program (DON'T FLUSH TOILETS WHILE DRIVING!) with a few new typically Californian wacko variations in 2016 (just like the already wacko five legally binding colors for curbs)
The first idiotic new alert is a 'Yellow Alert' which will go out on highway message boards with hit-and-run suspect vehicle descriptions. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id 1320140AB47
The second idiotic new alert is a "Silver Alert', which will go out on highway message boards when a person 65 or older is missing. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id 1520160AB643
Upcoming for next year ... White Alerts - warning when children don't brush their teeth or boys don't wash behind their ears!
Another new crime!
It's already illegal for car drivers, but if you're on a bicycle, it's now illegal to use a headset, earplugs or earbuds in both ears while operating your bicycle.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id 1520160SB491 It's in there - buried deep down within the wholly unrelated crap.
(11) Existing law prohibits a person operating a motor vehicle or a bicycle from wearing a headset covering both ears, or from wearing earplugs in both ears, subject to certain exceptions.
This bill would also prohibit wearing earphones covering, resting on, or inserted in, both ears. Because a violation of these provisions would be a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The always wacko state of California had to make a (temporary) law so as to NOT charge tolls for pedestrians on bridges!
AB 40 keeps toll bridges free for pedestrians and bicyclists but only until 2021, so hurry up!
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id 1520160AB40
Just to prove that the state is filled with wackos, starting January 1st, 2016, California DMV offices will begin issuing driver's licenses to people in the country *illegally*.
Under AB 60, applicants must prove who they are, that they live in California and, surprisingly for California, they must also pass a driving test.
A new law will also provide access to auto insurance.
DMV officials say they expect about 1.4 million *illegal* cheaters to apply for a driver's license in the first three years.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id 1520160AB60
On 1/2/2016 8:42 AM, Mark Bannon wrote:

The last time I had "access to auto insurance" it was $300 cash or certified check, in person at their offices, for a 30 day policy. Wonder what these guys will pay, if anything..
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

I don't think issuing Cali drivers license to illegals will attract many illegals. That would mean they would have to get legal and buy insurance or have their ride confiscated and them jailed for no insurance. You can't jail the buggers because of being in country illegally, so off they go....on foot.
Per Scott Dorsey:

I keep hearing that the net Mexico-USA migration is towards Mexico now.
If that's correct, are the numbers over-ridden by immigration from Central America ?
--
Pete Cresswell

It certainly was, starting a little after the recession started.
Now that the recession is pretty much over, I would think things could reverse again, although of course they have to make it into the country again. No small feat.

I don't know but I don't think the Central American numbers are as great as the Mexican.
I've heard that when NAFTA was passed, the North American Free Trade Act, it cost some/quite a few Americans their manufacturing jobs as Mexicans did it cheaper, but the corn farms in the midwest with their enormously efficient farm machinery could raise corn a lot cheaper, and this stopped 10's of thousands of Mexicans from making a living on the small farms they owned or worked, and that that's why there was such a burst of Mexicans entering the US after NAFTA.
Googling, these, written in 2014 and 2012, says that very thing: http://www.politicalresearch.org/2014/10/11/globalization-and-nafta-caused-migration-from-mexico/#sthash.Ynu1utVN.dpbs and http://www.thenation.com/article/how-us-policies-fueled-mexicos-great-migration/
On 01/03/2016 01:44 AM, Micky wrote:

Yup. And then the push for ethanol raised the price of corn -- and of tortillas, a major source of protein in the diet of poor Mexicans.
Thank you, George H. w. Bush, Clinton, George W. Bush, obama, et al.
On 1/3/2016 2:26 PM, rbowman wrote:

I didn't know that, thanks. Turns out one 20g corn tortilla has 1 gram of protein:
http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Comparing-Nutritional-Value-Corn-Flour-Tortillas-11189166
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
On 1/3/2016 3:47 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Corn is not a good food to eat. However, BigMed and BigPharma sure love their corn/carbohydrate cash-cow.
On 01/03/2016 02:05 PM, Microsoft Bob wrote:

Masa harina, the flour used for tortillas, is a slight improvement. The dent corn is processed with slaked lime, freeing up the niacin, similar to hominy.
BigAg likes their corn too. You'd have to go back to Earl Butz to see the turnaround in US agricultural policy that radically increased corn production in an attempt to keep food cheap.

See separate answer to this.

It's a strange article. He makes it sound like Mexican tortillas are made from wheat flour and he's trying something new. Mexican tortillas have been made from corn for 100's of years, if not forever.

They didn't invent heart disease and there's evidence it has nothing to do with diet.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/31/the-surprising-thing-ancient-mummies-tell-us-about-what-to-eat/
On 01/04/2016 03:11 AM, Micky wrote:

Well then, that settles it. One can enjoy their McJunkFood as long as they take their blood pressure meds and their cholesterol meds and their insulin shots.
On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 04:22:53 -0500, Euell Gibbons

As luck woudl have it, I got my first prescription for Lipitor 3 weeks ago. I tried, but not very hard, to cut down on fat before the blood test, so I asked the doctor, a board-certified cardiologist/internist: In the future, how will you know if my low fat level is from my changing my diet or from the drug, and he said, You can't change your diet enough to make much difference.
I don't know if that applies to everyone or not, but he's only known me for 4 years. So maybe you're right!

No, you have it wrong. The price was much lower. If ethanol had any effect, any increase, it was small compared to the lowering effect of the corn imported from the US.

On 01/04/2016 01:05 AM, Micky wrote:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/407304/ethanol-demand-threatens-food-prices/
http://www.actionaidusa.org/press/us-ethanol-policy-costs-mexico-250-500-million-each-year-fuels-hunger
http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/policy_research/EthanolCostMexico.html