New Bosch dishwasher...very loud.

We got a Bosch dishwasher about 2 weeks ago...model SHE66. Not the top-of-the-line, but at $1300 not exactly cheap.
It cleans amazingly well, so no complaints there.
It's very loud...much louder than our cheap Kitchenaid. I figured it was defective, so I called the dealer. The tech said the noise level is normal, and that it sounds like the Bosch he himself has at home.
Our friends have the top-of-the-line Bosch. "So quiet, it has to have a little light that shines on the floor so you know it's on."
Joke. Hers is just as loud as mine. She called, got the same tech and the same answer.
I have spoken to many Bosch owners, online and in person, who tell me that theirs is so quiet they have to put their hand on it to know it's running.
In fact, our friends have the bottom model, with noise specs something like 56db, and they say they can't hear it running.
Ours is supposed to be 44 db.
So what's going on here? Should I pursue this? There's a gap around the unit...should this have been filled by the installers?
I plan to call Bosch on Monday. No surprise that they haven't answered email...they are supposed to be legendary in their poor customer service.
BTW...I'm in the next room over as I type this, and the dishwasher is running. Sounds like a washing machine.

When we moved into our place in 2003, it had a Bosch SHU3307. Not top of the line at all, and it's very quiet. I have always heard that they are known for being quiet, so not sure what your deal is. Not sure how helpful this is, but at least you know mine cleans great and is quiet.
Send it back :)
Later, Steve

If you return it look into an LG LDS5811. Our kitchen opens into our living room and the thing barely makes a peep. It also only cost $699.
Ours is so quiet that I keep forgetting that it is running.

"Mitch" wrote

kickplate installed properly--If that is installed backwards (and it happens), the unit will be noisier. Why is there a gap around the cabinet? It should have a plastic filler type strip along the sides. Who installed it? My Bosch is about 5 years old and was top of the line then. Its sound rating is 46db and it is barely audible. It is slightly louder now than when new--we can hear the water filling/draining, but otherwise can't be heard without an ear to the door. You need to take this up with the installer.

I don't know...what kind of seal does yours have?
I'm sick about this. The dealer only has one tech, so I'm going to call Bosch and see if they can send someone else out.
I think it's fishy that I only know of one other person who says their Bosch is loud, and it was installed by the same guy!
Download and read the installation instructions if the installer did not leave them with you. There is obviously a problem. Call your credit card company and tell them to hold the charge if you paid that way because the unit is defective.

"Mitch" wrote "Gini" wrote:

is slightly flexible and completely seals the sides between dishwasher and cabinets. My DW is white so my strip is white. Also, check your kickplate and be sure the foam insulation is behind it. I've heard from others that the kickplate is often installed backwards and if it is, you can see the foam insulation through the screw holes. This was brought up years ago on usenet so you might be able to find more info via Google. (More Below) =>

and would badger the dealer until it is resolved. Tell them if they can't fix it, then they should pay someone else to fix it. I bought mine from Sears and they should know how to intsall them properly since they presumably sell a lot of them. In the meantime, try blocking the sides yourself with something temporary to see if that reduces the noise. If it doesn't, there may be a problem with the insulation wrap around the unit--like, hopefully there is one ;-). HTH. ==
Holy cow. I took the kickplate off. There's no insulation of any kind! Nothing. Just noisy pumps and actuators.
What a fool. I can't wait to tell them.
I assume there's supposed to be one big strip of foam insulation?
"Mitch" wrote

well? Where did you buy the DW--a local dealer?

Yep. But the installer already came out and said the noise was "normal," so Bosch is sending out someone from a different dealer...hopefully more competent.
I can't wait to see what he says when he takes the kickplate off. Especially since the foam is right there in the manual...they show it being placed behind the kickplate before it's screwed on.
Which means we have a town full of people saying "I thought these things were supposed to be quiet."
"Mitch" wrote

Well, at least it appears you will get it right. Wait til the next guy sees that gap around it, too. Do you know when he's coming? Let us know how it turns out.

There probably still is. However, it's probably in the trash with the rest of the packaging and, most likely, more of the insulation. I hope you soon get a tech who knows what he's doing!
I wonder how many others this guy has installed. And whether Bosch are able to detect a cluster of noisy dishwasher complaints within your ZIP code?

If they haven't, they will. I have 2 friends who bought thiers from the same place, and they both complain they are loud.
So after my problem is fixed, they're both going to call.
I should hear something today.